NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
20 Posts
is it easy just to take the emblems off or do you have to work with them for a little bit?
I have an 2003, and I just bought new ones a few days ago and i'm very scared to ruin the car taking off the old ones. :confused:

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
I ordered a 06+ style hatch emblem to replace Daisy's peeling emblem. I tried dental floss to get it off and pulling it with my fingers and that thing is really stuck on. Ironic that this car seems to have weird parts fall off randomly but the one thing I WANT to come off, doesn't!!:rolleyes:

Acetone (nail polish remover) and using a hair dryer were suggested. Do those work? I managed to lightly scratch the paint around the emblem when I used a screwdriver (wrapped in tape but the tape ripped) and I don't want to damage the paint any more. There is a small space at the top of the emblem where I did pry it loose. Can I drip some acetone in there, possibly with a dropper?

Thanks for any help!

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Project completed!!

First I used the dental floss to loosen the top of the badge. Then I poured canola oil into the space and wiggled it loose enough to get a screwdriver in there. By this time the space between the car and the badge was big enough so I didn't need to worry about scratching the paint. I pulled REALLY hard and the thing FINALLY came off. After plenty of Goo Gone, paper towels and a wooden cuticle stick I removed most of the sticky stuff. Removing the sticky backing took about 35 minutes. The new emblem is on now and it looks great. I probably could have moved it down just a bit but there is no way I'm taking it off now!:rolleyes:

After marinating the rear bumper in canola oil:p and before attaching the new badge I washed her really good and used Megiure's wax to get all the oil off. After I was done I used the wax again just to make sure there was no Goo Gone on the paint.

This was a little more of a project than I thought it would be but she looks much better!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
My emblems are looking pretty awful. I am afraid of removing them from the car...how do you do that without damaging the paint? I did find some vinyl inserts for the logos on etsy.com under seller tonyabug that I am considering trying.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
I did scratch the paint a little, I think because I was getting a little aggressive with the floss.:eek: A little time with the electric buffer should remove the scratches. Try applying some paint safe tape (the kind drivers wrap their front bumpers with on a road trip). If I would have used the canola oil earlier in the process I would have saved some time.

·
Brook Thompson
27 Posts
Hi guys, I'm from the uk and own a 2000 beetle. When I bought mine the badges are just metal now. No paint left so look awful :mad: I've bought the euro looking badge for the front and want to do the same to the rear but have no idea how to go about it as mine has the swivel badge and have no idea if you buy one with a lock or what :rolleyes: I'm not good with things like this so if anyone could tell me where I can look to get one any help would be amazing! Thanks:D

21 - 30 of 30 Posts