VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the lady I bought my 2004 convertible, she was showing me how to operate the automatic top. The flap got caught (I think against the headrest, and a part of it broke (see pic) I did notice the metal arm is still moving when I raise or lower the top. I was told you could get a new flap for 60.00, but it would have to be painted to match. My question is do any of your convertible owners know of anyway to glue or repair this? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are other threads on the org regarding this. Page back through the "convertible" section and you'll surely find them.

Most of them will say to just remove the flaps because they are an accident waiting to happen. They are a complicated mechanical nightmare that are there simply for aesthetics. VW eliminated them in I believe 2006.

That said, nothing has gone wrong with mine on my '03, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
758 Posts
There are other threads on the org regarding this. Page back through the "convertible" section and you'll surely find them.

Most of them will say to just remove the flaps because they are an accident waiting to happen. They are a complicated mechanical nightmare that are there simply for aesthetics. VW eliminated them in I believe 2006.

That said, nothing has gone wrong with mine on my '03, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Good luck!
I think they went away for the '05 model year, as our '05 does not have them.

·
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would LOVE to know how to remove them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Type in "convertible flaps" in the Search box at the top of this thread, and you will see that you are not alone. Lots of other posts about the issue. I'm sure some of them will help with removal.

·
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Type in "convertible flaps" in the Search box at the top of this thread, and you will see that you are not alone. Lots of other posts about the issue. I'm sure some of them will help with removal.
Thanks! I found the "how to" remove them. Maybe this weekend i'll give it a try.

·
4,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think they went away for the '05 model year, as our '05 does not have them.
Is it just a hole there then? Could you show me a picture of what it looks like without them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, did you ever take off those flaps and if so did the top still work? I just lost one of mine on the road with the top down and it seems to get hung now on that side and won't let the top go back without it on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Roof Flap

I just had the roof flap replaced on mine as we speak. Took a little over 3 hrs labor at a roof place. Now I have a torn liner and need a repair kit for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.