NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! New to the forum :)

So we just bought a 2003 Convertible for my sister. The top goes up and down just fine, but the flaps won't close when the top is down. This causes the car have a sustained beep whenever the car is moved. Right before we bought the car, a mechanic looked at it and said it was a switch. I'm guessing it is the microswitch that tells the car that the top is all the way down, right? Where exactly is it? Do I have to remove the entire rear interior to get to it?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Suggest you consider spending about $42 for a VAG-405 from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

This tool should give you specific error info for the top module?

There is likely a switch toward the rear of car that determines the top is actually fully retracted.

Not 100% sure, but likely near the rear windows, may need to access via pulling the rear seat and rear door panels??

If I locate anything specifically for this I will post back.

This may give you a bit more of an idea of what is going on with the top on these cars - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWTrK8-BxpM

·
Registered
20 Posts
Firstly, we have a separate forum for the convertible. Secondly, my 2004 had the same problem. I just removed the flaps, and haven't missed them one bit. In fact, those flaps are so problematic that even VW themselves got rid of them beginning with the 2005 model year.

However, to answer your actual question, the switch is on top of the right side top strut, and it can be accessed by removing the rear passenger side trim panel. There are videos on youtube on how to do that.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Suggest you check the switch as likely the flaps are not closing because the system does not register that the top is fully open??

Yes many have had issues with the flaps, however, many have had no issues either. My car had 1 issue with the passenger side flap under warranty where something broke, but since then, not issues what so ever knock on wood.

If the flap motor(s) failed and the were $$$$ likely I might pull the flaps, but until then, I have them and my top is working as it should.

Hopefully it is just the top open position switch is out of adjustment or is somehow unplugged?

·
Registered
762 Posts
The F171 switch tells the Roof Electronics if the top is in the open or closed position. The F171 has 2 micro switches in a plastic housing, with a slide that moves within it, said slide has a raised spot that will trigger one of the 2 switches depending on if the top is open or closed. This F171 is on the right side hydraulic ram. These are prone to failure in such a way that would keep the flaps from closing.

The top locks also have micro switches on them, the Roof Electronics has to see both left and right side locks in the lock position in order for the flaps to come down. These top locks are rather noisy and I've seen a lot of people let go of the switch before the locks have fully cycled, thus the flaps stay up. Try holding the roof switch in the open position until there are no noises coming from the top. Once a top is FULLY opened, the Roof Electronics will ignore the "open the top" signal from the switch, nothing happens.

Get a dealer level scan tool, like VCDS and use the video that is linked a few post above to compare your data to a known working car. Or if you are in the Knoxville area, look me up, I can get it figured out in no time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes many have had issues with the flaps, however, many have had no issues either. My car had 1 issue with the passenger side flap under warranty where something broke, but since then, not issues what so ever knock on wood.
The issue I have with them is that they are essentially a separate system, electronically connected to the top. Each flap has it's own motor. So, that's at least three additional failure points. I would rather they connected the motors to the top hardware mechanically in a manner similar to the way landing gear doors are connected to gear struts/trunions on some aircraft, that way the top would push or pull on the flaps as it moved.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Agree that the silly Germans tend to way over complicate the situation. Not sure exactly why sometimes?

It would be nice if the manual movement of the top took care of the wings automatically, but then there would likely be some short coming.

I think the issue with the side wings, unlike aircraft landing gear, is the side wings need to open for the top to go up or down, but the side wings need to be closed with the top both open and closed??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts