NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I read this once before:

While "cold" (about 70F) my temp light came on flashing red at me. The first time it happened, i pulled over, shut the engine off, restarted it, and the light was gone (remained blue for 2 minutes).

The next time it happened, it reset itself after I shut down again.

Is this a low coolant situation?

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
It is either low coolant or a true overheat situation. If you don't have G12 coolant handy, just add some distilled water and see if that solves the problem.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Temp. light flashing red....

A red flashing temp. light indicates either a low coolant level in the reservoir or an over heated engine, or incorrect temp. info is being sent from the coolant temp. sensor, G62. Check your coolant reservoir when engine is cold.. It should be at the min level or slightly above. If it is not at least at the min. mark, start engine and allow to warm up fully. The coolant level should rise in the reservoir. When it does and is below the max mark or just slightly above the min mark, add G-12 and distilled water, 50/50% mix to the reservoir up to the max. mark. When the engine cools off, the new coolant will be siphoned back into the radiator and the reservoir level should be at or slightly above the min mark. Proir to or at the same time, check connectons, ie. plug to level sensor on the side of reservoir.
If your red tamp. light continues to flash, and your engine is obviously not too hot ( engine is warmed up completely when fans start to operate), then perhaps the temp. sensor G62 on the upper radiator hose is not sending the correct temp. info.
to the engine control module and on to the red temp. light. Replacement of this sensor will allow some coolant mix to drain out and must be done with no pressure in the system. Have available a jug of G-12 and some distilled water to replace the coolant lost while changing this out...Do not substitute any other coolant for this anti-freeze by VW. All other anti-freezes, including the ones that say good for all cars, should never be used.. Good Luck, JK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts