VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blinking red temp light on my dash. Comes on after about 15 seconds. I shut the engine off right away.

Coolant level with a cold engine is correct it appears, above the minimum mark but below the max mark. The bottle is basically about 1/2 full so appears OK.

Fuse #16 and #25 in my fuse box appear fine. Not sure if these are the correct ones to check. If there are more, please let me know what ones.

What else do I check?

Thanks

Thomas

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Is your fan running?

On my '99, the fuses for the cooling fan burned out. It was a common problem. The fuse is located on the top of the battery...I don't have my manual so I can't look up which one it is. If you search the old forum for "cooling fan fuse", you may even be able to find my original thread about it.

Karen

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Possible failures:
1. Fan relay
2. Coolant Temp sensor
3. Coolant level (or air in the system)

Check those three and report back. :O)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
If this happens withing 15 seconds of startup of a cold motor, I think you can rule out the fans, and fuses.
The sensor inside the coolant bottle can cause that problem as well as the temp sensor in the upper radiator hose. First try adding just a little distilled water to the coolant bottle.

·
Just Bugged
61 Posts
Had the same problem found it to be low on fluid. But the light would go to Blue after a min or so.

I bought the car this last weekend and The dealer said they checked all the fluids and did their 113 point checks, guess what, I had a salesman drive 35 miles and bring me a half gallon of antifreese to fill the bottle:D cause it was never checked. :mad: I hate Stealership maintenance! That isn't all they missed either. I won't be getting my maintenance done there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts