VW Beetle Forum banner

Flashlights cleaning or buying - Beetle RSI / Millennium Beetle - how?

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  billymade 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi - has anyone cleaned the flaslight glases of a RSI / Cup Millennium Beetle?
OR - anyone has a Partnumber & place how tp order new ones?
There are imprints in the glases & plastic but I can't find any part in internet related to these numbers ?
Issue:
    Lights are milky, dull & covered with some green material
  • Plastics have changed their original shape due to temperature impact over the years

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
For RSi parts, have you checked "VW Classic Parts", the special store in Germany(?); they have a decent amount of genuine NOS RSi parts on there. I would assume, RSi and Beetle Cup parts; are the same?

#3 ·
You might try some plastic cleaner and see, how that works? For rare parts like yours; you might do a test first, on a similar throw away or damaged part, see how it works and then, try on your good part.

Here in the states, we have brands like Mothers or Meguiar's; I'm sure, there is something equivalent available in Germany? I think, I used the Meguiar's® PlastX product; on the plastic lens on my speedo cluster, that was getting some scratches on it and it worked well.

Mothers 06208 Plastic Polish - 8 oz

Plastic Polish

Meguiar's® PlastX™ Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish, G12310, 10 oz., Liquid

#4 ·
#6 ·
Worst case scenario, if the parts are no longer available; I guess, you could make your own parts, using molds, of the old parts? How To Make a Replacement Automotive Light Lens
Txs mate - I already tried a few different polish brands . They all work fine for flat surfaces but do not really do the job inside the flashers, which are in different 3D shapes! I used electric toothbrush and others ... seems I really have to find someone to get new ones done like you recommended? Have you seen someone also doing this for the outer frames ( glasholders ) which is a sort ofABS plastic ?

#8 ·
I still think have a very close look at the old aircooled lenses - there are white aftermarket versions. The Mk 1 Golf also had a similar lens but they were flat. The aircooled Beetle ones have the same curved lens like yours. I don't know where you are located, but the Millenium Beetles were sold in UAE as I recall.

#9 ·
Can you have a German RSi owner; help you order parts? On a number of facebook new beetle relayed groups; there seems to be RSi owners there.

I wonder if you contact VW dealerships; in the countries that sold the Beetle Cup editions, if they can order parts?

There was one guy in Mexico; who worked at a VW dealership and was selling RSi and air-cooled Mexican Beetle parts, to anyone world wide. I think he advertised on the Samba site; maybe he can source some for you?

Seems like a hassle finding these rare parts; just some ideas, i thought of. Have you figured out, if the parts are discontinued or still being made, by VW?

#10 ·
#11 ·
Txs for the responses! Meanwhile I sourced the Flasher glases from a german supplier ( ... as you advised, same parts were used on older aircooled models ).
  • The Plastic covers were produed by an austrian company , which had scrapped all VW parts 2-3 years ago they replied to me - too bad :(
  • RSI owner orders as of today also are a "nightmare" ... VW only accepts orders, if you are an RSI owner & provide a valid RSI VIN with papers. I did this 1 1/2 month ago
to order the front spoiler grills !!!! The order is supposed to be handeled by VW RACING, etc... but No feedback till date. Parts from VW CLASSIC Cars in Germany also fail to provide such parts.
* I lived in UAE where the cars were maintained ( ... they were not sold by the dealer, as the complete order of ALL 80 cars was placed by " ONE SINGLE SHEIKH " !! NO parts available there !
... this is why you will find such cars having Standard bumpers and other stupid looking parts installed , which were damaged in accidents.
* VW Germany even pretends ( ... official reply in a mail ) VW ever having built theses cars :( :( !!!
I will not give up and hope to get a direct contact to a person which has been working in Puebla on the cars himself to proof production of the cars in Puebla.
Any contacts there would be great - possibly retired engineers to be the best ??

#12 ·
Did you contact, the guy; from Mexico city I linked to, on the Samba site? I would post on some of the european/german RSi/New Beetle Facebook sites and ask, if they would help you order parts? Have you contacted a local UAE based VW dealer and see, if they can get parts? Are there junk yards; in the UAE?

Good luck, it sounds tough; to find these scarce parts and even more so, for the Cup Cars, which are not even being claimed as normal production cars? Keep us informed; as you work through, finding your parts! Thanks. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.