NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The flex pipe on my VW Beetle is broken, which I understand is pretty common. Engine is 2.0. What is the size of the piece that I need to fix this? Diameter and length please. I have looked online and it is not clear what I need. Probably because they want to sell me the whole pipe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The flex pipe on my bug was so rusty and just fell off. I bought a new pipe from the exhaust to the cat. If the pipe fell off you can take it into a muffler shop and they can weld a new piece on or you can replace the whole thing. The flex pipe is welded to the cat so either way you have to weld. This is what I got then paid a shop weld it back on. My engine is bev. Just make sure it fits your beetle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The flex pipe on my bug was so rusty and just fell off. I bought a new pipe from the exhaust to the cat. If the pipe fell off you can take it into a muffler shop and they can weld a new piece on or you can replace the whole thing. The flex pipe is welded to the cat so either way you have to weld. This is what I got then paid a shop weld it back on. My engine is bev. Just make sure it fits your beetle

So, I would need to cut the existing pipe behind the flex pipe and then the end would slide over the cut pipe and then be clamped on? Looks better than trying to weld one of the flex pipes on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine was gone from the engine to cat. I couldn't clamp the new one on, but if you have that pipe still in front of the cat I don't see why you couldn't clamp it. Be careful not the snap the nuts from the studs on the part connected to the engine.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I’ll second that, laying on your back trying to work the broken stud out with vice grips and a small chisel is not the most pleasant way to spend your time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll second that, laying on your back trying to work the broken stud out with vice grips and a small chisel is not the most pleasant way to spend your time.
Obviously I haven't got to this yet, but I have certainly busted an exhaust stud off before. I will spray it down with PB Blaster a couple times before I even start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts