NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, :)

I am new to this forum but I am having a problem. I am hoping you can help me without (or before) having to go to the dealership.

Yesterday when we were leaving Home Depot, we noticed my right daytime running light was out. We found directions here on how to replace that and plan on doing that later today. But then, on the way home, my dash lights began to flicker and flash. Didn't stay off, just sort of blinked! Car seemed to be running well. I have a 2008 Beetle.

Any ideas about this? I am sort of afraid to drive it for fear it will leave me sitting. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Debby

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Both my NB's have a moment where the headlights dim for a split second. I think this is due to the voltage regulator kicking in. Since both of my cars did this, I dont think it's anything to worry about..... You are not the first to ask this question.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hi, :)

I am new to this forum but I am having a problem. I am hoping you can help me without (or before) having to go to the dealership.

Yesterday when we were leaving Home Depot, we noticed my right daytime running light was out. We found directions here on how to replace that and plan on doing that later today. But then, on the way home, my dash lights began to flicker and flash. Didn't stay off, just sort of blinked! Car seemed to be running well. I have a 2008 Beetle.

Any ideas about this? I am sort of afraid to drive it for fear it will leave me sitting. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Debby
If your DRL is out, then the low beam should also be out as they are one in the same. If not, it's not a bulb problem.

As to the flickering dash lights, you either have a loose wire or as Zann suggested a dimmer switch going bad, or for some reason, are momentarily loosing all power, both battery and alternator sourced. I'm assuming you mean the ones that can be dimmed as noted by Zann, and not warning and indicator lights in the cluster. Just need to verify because ppl do have a tendancy to use the wrong terminology.

Btw, missed you if you have been on here before as aNewbie, and if not,

Welcome to the Org!

Here's a little something I put together for all the Newbie's
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

MORAV

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I am brand new to the forum and don't always use the correct terms. My hubby found you when we needed information on how to replace the bulb for the daytime running headlight. Found the instructions and, iPad in hand, we were successful!

THANKS!!!!!! :)

About my flickering dash lights - has not happened again since the light bulb has been changed. But that was only since yesterday. We will keep an eye on everything. My husband has worked on cars a lot but not on the Beetle so this stuff is fairly new to him. I had gotten a 1999 yellow Beetle and when I decided to get a new car in the late summer of 2007, I looked around everywhere and at everything and got a 2008 yellow Beetle! Love my bug!

Thanks for all the advise. We will be lurking here.

Debby

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Highly unlikely the two issues are related, although the ON/OFF function is the same switch, but, and your Husband should understand this, the dimmer switch is "downstream" of the headlight switch, and only in the dash light circuit. It is possible their is a loose wire in the headlight switch plug assembly. It is very easy to remove the switch and check the wiring. Probably easiest to find the switch R&R in a rear foglight switch mod thread. Here's one that should suffice http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/146-euroswitch-install-how.html. I could put up a wiring diagram for your husbands use but I'm not sure he could read it. Let me know.

And, btw, no need to "lurk" around the Org! (lol) Even if you're having no problems, there are a lot of simply fun threads, news of local get-togethers etc. photo threads, etc, you might enjoy partaking in on occasion.

M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts