NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my 2002 New Beetle last year, and it only came with one key, the switchblade one. Recently, the key is having issues. It kinda stuck, and I was eventaully afraid to tuck the key part back in. Now, the key part, just flops around, not locking into the key, so the "switchblade" part does not work.

I found this (pictured below, the nickel is for size relation) on the floor mat. Is this part of the key? If so, is it capable of being somehow put back in?

Any advice is appreciated. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
That could be the spring, it would look something very much like that.

Here's a shot of the FOB disassembled -

Here's a close-up of the chip

Here's a close-up of the key and spring

For the entire write-up, and a better understanding, go here (the NB is the same) -
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/key-replacement-mk5-Jetta.htm

Contact www.sidewinderkey.com for replacement of just what you need. The very cheapest way would be to buy a used Remote fob (key must be HAA, swap out the blade and the chip in the top half, and completly swap the bottom half that contains the battery and remote transmitter. Or buy a new fob, swap in your blade and chip, and reprogram the remote. Deb, it's not rocket science. Think of it this way. There are three completely separate functions within this remote fob - 1) remote lock/unlock, alarm (this is programmable by the user without any special equipment), the key itself, manual lock and ignition switch operation, and immobilizer (a chip which requires Vag programming ONLY if replaced - the chip is writable, but not re-writable).

M.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am now sure that the spring I found is that. Is this something I can do myself? It's the only key I have, and I don't want to eff it up....... :eek:

Thanks for the breakdown. I appreciate it. :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I am now sure that the spring I found is that. Is this something I can do myself? It's the only key I have, and I don't want to eff it up....... :eek:

Thanks for the breakdown. I appreciate it. :)
I can't believe, you, of all people, are running around with no spare key, after hearing all the horror stories of "only key lost/broken" on here.

I think it is something you ought to be able to do. I've picked up on the idea that your not a terribly "mechanical" person. You know enough VW ppl in your area, someone should be able to handle this for you. Simply swapping your necessary parts with a new fob is maybe a ten minute job. Computer programming (see the end of my post) the car for a new chip, maybe another 15 minutes if you decide to add a remote or key. Obviously something has come apart or broken for the spring to become dislodged. it sounds as if you probably have a lot of miles on that one key. I think you can forget about repairing the one you have, you just need the blade and chip from it. Since it is you're only key, you're right about not screwing it up. It might be time to think about getting a whole new key, and THEN fix this one for a spare (that would only require obtaining a used fob (complete, and then swapping the blade and chip and re-programming the remote portion), Or get a whole new key and swap the chip. If you don't want to fool with it yourself, or pay the Dealer bucks, you can either buy the parts and then have an automotive locksmith do the work, or simply get the whole thing from an automotive locksmith. He/she DOES NOT need the 4 digit key code, as a Dealer wants you to believe. You're key can be visually read, www.sidewinder.com does it from a picture of your key. I paid $185 for my spare, complete, car programmed for chip and remote. All chips and remotes involved have to be done at the same time.

As I said, www.sidewinderkey.com - Communicate with Mark, get his input, maybe also visit his eBay Guide about the HAA Flip Keys here -
eBay Guides - VW Volkswagen immobilizer flip key fob remote guide haa
He even sells the Vagtacho software to program the car for a new chip. I know several members on here have communicated with him and he has been quite helpful. Tell him your a moderator here and see his sites mentioned all the time.

M.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm kinda nervous about digging into the key myself, but you have somewhat eased my fear.

I think I have the valet key too, but had forgotten.

I'll work on it this weekend. Thank you! :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:) If you've got the Valet key, your good to go with swapping the chip and blade into a new or used fob (you have to decide on that). The only tool you will need is a very small #1 Phillips screwdriver. Maybe someone around here has a used fob in decent shape that they no longer have the car for, like one of the part outs. Just ask them! Just needs to be the rectangular button fob with the HAA blade. And one of us will walk you through it if need be. Or have someone do it at one of your local GtGs, can't take 10 mimnutes. We all love ya, Deb! and owe you for all your hard work around here.

M.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After I tore the key apart (along with my index finger...nice scar on it ) the spring went back in, but the switchblade still did not work. On Friday, the spring and button popped out again. I found both pieces, and I am getting tired of the problem.

Does anyone have a cheap replacement switchblade key, that they can donate to a poor VW gal? :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts