·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone im new to this forum stuff but am basically
in need of some help with my NB TDI 1.9ALH

first issue is the floor pan ive had all the interior out and
took some photos as you can see some spaz did a **** job and now
all the sound dampening is full of moisture please advise on my next step any help would be greatly appreciated

here are the pics

Attachments

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I'll be keeping on eye on this thread. Our 2001 has only one rust issue around the rubber looking body plug. It looks like the same starting point yours has.

All damage is repairable, just depends on how much $$ you wish to spend. In our case? Soon as spring hits I'll be heading ours to the local body shop to see about a small replacement panel being welded on. I have a ICD implant and have been forbidden to do any welding that uses an "Arc". (boohoo....)

In your case? I would actually search out some salvage yards and see if any have a beetle they could "Cut" the panel out of. A good body shop should be able to weld in a new section of steel in it's place. If done correctly? It should work out good.

The other alternative would be to search out body shops and have them look up a floor pan section for the rotted out area. I can't seem to locate any for VW's at my end.

(BTW: I have that same Stanley Socket Set. That thing is fantastic)

S-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info , i was thinking a whole new floor pan but just for one side is $340 alone without getting someone to weld it in for me, ive had the car for just over a year now and since then ive replaced (get ready for the grocery list) starting from the front to the back - new struts coils and mounts, left cv axle, steering knuckle and double bearing, new calipers rotors and pads all round, new control arm bushings, tie rods, hand break pipes and lines. i still need to do the exhaust, cross member, floor pan and rocker panels its gone past the point of no return so i really want to go the rest of the way

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
The other side may be able to be saved by some creative welding.

The bad side with the 2 lines showing? Yeah...that's going to hurt. And ours is starting out that way. It's got a 4" rust bubble under the rust preventive (Yeah...That's funny. It's rusting under the rust preventive undercoating).

The welding, provided you do the grinding work and prep? That should help save some $$ off the repair bill. As for what to do afterwards? Talk to a good body shop about doing a rust preventive that should hold up. For the sound dampening material? That should be fine for thin stock sound dampening material. (I can actually get some decent stuff for my daily driver from a supply company. From there it's just cut and 'stick' to the floor.)

S-

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos of the rest of the car so we can ORGle them!!

In taking a look at the problem, do you have a sun roof. They are reason for soaked floor boards. I'd get a good wreck or watch for cars being parted out in your area to get a newer floor pan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi thanks for your interest , i actualy have you on my facebook already lol, i love your beetle and some very tasteful decals, im trying to restore my poor bug and am currently deciding on what to do i think ill cut away the rust with an angle grinder and tack some new steel sheets in place then go
over them with some POR-15 , in answer to your question no it does not have a sunroof its just that the rust hole is so big i would imagine the road water got in, quick question im having trouble locating the floor pans for a reasonable price i was thinking wont the mk4 golf have the same floor pans maybe ill have more luck looking for a wrecked one of those

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Did a search on car-part dot com

Found a lot of them from $50.00 and the rest say to 'call'.

Part of the issue with buying them from a yard, and this is why they say "call" I would imagine. Is it the entire floor pan....sectional....etc.. Which part is actually needed, and maybe a yard could cut out the pan for the worse spot, and a section of the other side?

This is where knowing a great local yard comes in handy, and sadly our pick'n pulls won't allow cutting tools.

If you can find a decent shop willing to work with you, and the photos? I'm sure something could be done. Otherwise it's suck it up and spend the $$ for the full part.

S-

·
Air Cooled Relic
22 Posts
In the air cooled world we see this quite frequently. I know that what I am about to say is just stating the obvious; but, the single best thing is to cut out the bad section back to where you have a solid section to weld to. It does not matter if you use "new" metal or a cut out of a wrecked car, what does is that you use a piece for that area. I would not recommend that you try to fabricate the pieces that you need.

Once welded you need to prep the welds and then can coat it with POR15 from both sides. For the sound proofing I use a combination of Dynamat products. If you bite this bullet now, it will pay dividends later.

The last pan that I did was for a '69 vert. This was a body off restro and the pan needed to replace both sides of the tunnel. Once we were done with putting the floor board in, we prepped the welds and the pan then took it to a local shop to have it Rhino Coated. We no longer worry about a rusty pan.

Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all your advice so far , i think thats what ill do ill look for an old pan from a scrappy in god condition hopefully for aboun $50-100 then do the POR-15 treatment also that Rhino coat sounds interesting, however the weather is quite bad atm so it may have to wait, i also need to get my hands on an angle grinder etc etc so hopefully ill get it all done in the next few months its just one of those projects that has gone past the point of no return money wise and just want to get it finished but done right the TDI makes a nice cheap run about for the wife and i enjoy the 5 speed its allot of fun brings a smile to my face, anyways thanks for all your information i look forward to further threads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts