VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and a new owner of a 1999 2.0L, 4-speed (OD) automatic transmission equipped beetle that I just recently acquired. I was wondering if someone might be able to provide me with the fluid capacities for this particular automobile.
This car has been sitting dormant for over a year, abandoned by the previous owner who sold me the car ($400.00) just to get rid of it. It has seen great neglect and despite my being able to drive it home a few short miles it became evident it wasn't shifting properly and it had a fairly good size coolant leak.
Anyway, I'm addressing and correcting a few of the obvious mechanical and servicing issues (utilizing this site and You Tube) before I make the decision whether to keep this car where my first investment will be the (expensive) manufacture's VW service manual.
Thank you

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
fuel - 14.5 gallons
oil - 4.4 qts
coolant - keep level between max and min marks
brake fluid - 2.1 qts
power steering - between max and min marks

This is according to the Bentley. Very good investment if you plan to keep the car.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Before you start changing fluids, I'd read up on the two big issues you have (not shifting properly and coolant leak). The "not shifting properly" in a auto would likely mean a fairly expensive valve body replacement. That said, you might get lucky and find it's not shifting correctly due to improper transmission fluid level, so I'd check and address that first.

The coolant leak isn't quite as bad sounding, on the surface anyway. But, mixing coolant types in these cars is a bad thing which can form goo which clogs coolant passages. If the coolant issue has lead to clogged coolant passages and/or overheating, you could have some serious engine problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts