NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much fluid to replace it all? I will be doing several maintenance items on our bug(brake fluid flush,timing belt replacement,intake tube cleaning,etc)this winter and this is on my list for next up.. Going to use a pump and draw the brake fluid out but I need to know if anyone knows about how much fluid I'll need?

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't find official number but previous thread mentions that a 1 liter bottle is enough.
Yeah several threads I have located on the net say about doing it,but so far none say how much fluid is required..Figures a couple bottles to make it safe. Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is a 1L bottle more than enough or is it "just enough"? I'm also planning on doing this soon, and since this is my first time I want to make sure I have more than enough in case I overdo it or miss something. I know I could buy 2L and be really safe, but then I heard brake fluid's shelf life is not that long (is that true?) so I can't store it for that long if I don't use it all.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Buy 2 to be safe. Do not open the second one unless one liter is not enough. The sealed one should be able to be returned.

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And use DOT 4 fluid. You can use Dot 3 or Dot 4. I run the 4 in my 70 Buick racecar and it works great..

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here's what is in the Book as regards fluid specification and storage. I don't believe shelf life is an issue, however moisture absortion is. Nothing about system capacity, and I suspect really hard to gauge how much will be used bleeding all the air from the system.

M.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use a motive bleeder and 1L is more than enough. If your rear pads are anywhere near needing replacement do it, then bleed them. With the airbox/maf tube removed for other maintenance it is much easier. I use a mitivac to suck as much fluid out of the resevoir, then wipe it out with a paper towel. Fill it with new fluid, pour the rest in the motive, pump it up and start bleeding.

I change fluid color each fluid change, ATE blue is in it now, then clear, then gold, then clear. Easy to see when you have all of the "old" fluid out with a color change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts