VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new used New Beetle (2003 NB TDI GLS) front grill was smashed. I bought all new plastic grill pieces and had them painted and new fog lights to replace the busted housings on the old ones. I got it all back together and looks nice except for one thing. There are some metal clips that go on the plastic shroud where the 2 mountings of the fog light screw into. Kind of a square looking washer thing that was crimped onto the plastic of the old one. The old ones wouldn't come off without breaking and the new plastic piece didn't have them on there. They aren't shown on the parts diagram I am looking at either. They act as washer around the plastic. I could just use some normal washers but would like to get the real thing if possible and reasonable. Any one know what these are called or part number or where they could be found?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
If you go to a hardware store ( the big box places may or may not have them)look in the fastner section and the should have " speed nuts"or some thing called close to that.

Take the piece to show them what you want and the screw to make sure you get the right size. They will be cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted the proper VW item though. A speed nut isn't what it really is either as there is one of those on the fog lamp mounting that the screw goes into anyway. This just acts as a washer/protector for the plastic. Thanks anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Chances are if you could find a part number it's probably discontinued. Closest you'll get is like what VDubYah suggested.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe. The fog lamp mounts themselves already have speed nuts on them, so no real need for more. These just act as washers to spread the load over greater area of the plastic tabs. I guess I will just use washers as the original ones seem to not exist. Thanks for the suggestions though! I bought OEM parts so if they were supposed to come with them they would have.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up using some 1" round SS flat washers from Home Depot. 4 needed on the top 2 per light. The bottom were different than the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts