NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
owners manual says take to a dealer.. yeah, my butt i am.. i can't see it all too well behind the fog light, but the passenger side bulb is burnt out on my girls 99nb. i've changed the headlight bulbs before, and know how much of a PITA it is.. i've searched and found mostly for later 00 and up..

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
VW did make a change in 01 or something to mount the fog lights soley to the lower valence, so all you would needa do is take that off.

BUT on pre-00 or 01 (i dont remeber) the top of the fog lights are mounted to the bumper cover and are a PITA to get at, you have to take the whole front bumper cover off to change the bulbs, unless you want to take the risk of bending the delecate vw plastics.

Myself, i lucked oue when i hit some ice with my car, and i bought an 02 lower valence, i had to wait forever for the new fogs tho, cuz i ordered '99 ones and thay didn't fit the new mounts, so i had to wait another week for the ones i have now. When it came time tp pull the old one off, i took it to a local body shop,m and they carefully air-sawwed off the top mount between the valence and bumper cover. And the new fog lights mounted perfectly in place.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
i know this one!

fog light is not nearly as complicated or as much of a PITA as a headlight, so let out a sigh of relief.

ramps or jackstands would be nice for doing this, but when i did it my dad and i just stuck our heads under the bumper and shone a flashlight on it.

1. on the back of the fog light is a dome-shaped black plastic housing. twist it counter-clockwise (lefty-loosey) and back it away from the rest of the light.
2. with it out of the way, you'll see a standard VW bulb holder secured by a little metal clip. pull the little clip out of the way so that the bulb holder is free to pull out.
3. back the bulb holder out and switch bulbs.
4. the rest of the re-install is the reverse of the removal.

good luck! :wave3:

(and props for not believing the owner's manual. i think of it more as dealer propaganda than a resource.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts