VW Beetle Forum banner

Folding Mirror questions

16K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Beetel 
#1 ·
Hi,
I recently purchased a 1999 New Beetle and I have a question about folding mirrors. I don't have an owners manual and can't find one online so pardon my ignorance.

The drivers door has a switch with four positions: Left, Right, Heat, and Fold. How does the folding function work? I can't make the mirrors fold no matter what I do.

The wiring digrams (from alldatadiy.com) don't seem to help -- they refer to two motors in the mirrors, but doesn't clarify which motor does what.

Any sage advice?

TIA -- erf

#4 ·
I know the Audi A4 used them. But can't find any reference to them on a Beetle. Post some photos of the switch.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#6 ·
I have 1999 New Beetle GLS 2.0 automatic and the mirrors do not have a power fold feature.

The two motors are what move the mirror glass.

Where did you get the understanding that they have this folding feature?

Here's a 2000 New Beetle Quick User Guide and it only shows that the positions are Left, Right, Mirror heating and Neutral.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

#12 ·
That's probably the case in USA, but in other countries power folding mirrors are available.

In Australia I've seen newer model mirrors (the ones with the turn signal indicator in them) that power fold.

Also in Japan all new cars for many years have been required by law to have power folding mirrors. I'm not sure during which year happened, but all New Beetles sold brand new in Japan probably have power folding mirrors.

#11 ·
Switch is cheaper!

I had the exact same question, as the switch in my 2001 Beetle also has that folding sign opposite the neutral. It is broken, too, and I was looking for a replacement. There are two types available, with or without the folding sign and.... the one with the folding sign is cheaper! No wonder that's the one most people use to replace broken ones

#13 ·
Hello, I'm about 7 years late to this conversation 😬 I acquired a 2002 Beetle a few months ago and I keep finding the wing mirrors folded in when I've left it parked. I assumed it was a passer-by who kept doing it but now I'm wondering if it's actually an automatic thing. Not finding much info online or in the manual so hopefully someone can advise. Do I have a helpful (busybody) neighbour, or is my car doing its own thing when I'm not looking?

#14 ·
I have a 2002 New Beetle Turbo S; my mirrors fold but it is done manually, I have not seen a auto fold setup on the New Beetle, as far as I know. NOTE: My New Beetle, is a USA spec VW; so, I don't know, if such a thing was put on the UK spec cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.