NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, going up 400 in rushhour stop-n-go traffic, the guy in front of me stops, unbuckles his seatbelt, and gets out of his car. He proceeds to yell at me for driving too close. I yell back "Get back in your car you idiot". He walks towards me and says "What did you say to me!?". I repeat my demand for him to walk back to his car and continue driving. He does so and I eventually get out from behind him.

About a month ago, a similar situation happend where I was behind a Mustang at a red light. When the light turned, he got went into the turn lane, let me pass, and then jerked back behind me. He would then repeatedly speed up onto my tail and the back off. I assume he was mad that I had been following too close.

I dont think I follow too close. I do tend to drive where I start moving when the car two cars ahead of me starts moving. But I really dont think that is such a threat. I have another theory.

Our cars have very short front ends/hoods. New passengers always think I'm going to hit things when I'm parking. Maybe when someone looks at me in their rear view mirror, it looks like I am really close, but in reality I am the usual distance away. I dont want to have to drive my car like its 4 feet longer. Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
It is true, that our cars give us a skewed depth perception. It sounds to me, like you need to make an effort to keep back farther. Far enough that you can see the road behind the car in front of you. The "rule" is "One car-length per 10 MPH", which means 2 car-lengths for 20mph, 3 for 30mph, and so on.

One motorist chiding you is one thing, but more than one, you need to back off. Good luck to you!

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
another rule is, when you stop behind a car, if you can't see their tires touch the road, your to close.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
squeebug said:
another rule is, when you stop behind a car, if you can't see their tires touch the road, your to close.

Heh, yeah, you shoulda had enough room to turn the wheels and drive at the moron that got out of his car and approached you. ;)
[/evil]

While I don't like tailgaiters, you'd think there's a better option than to get out of your car and approach them. don't people get shot like that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tailgating

Dnyed,
I honestly dont think I am tailgating. These situations were very low speed, where traffic stops, then gets up to maybe 5mph and then stops again. I think they are upset cause they think I stop inches away from their car. The guy that yelled at me was just as close to the cars in front of him, if not closer.

Squeebug,
I will try to make note of that rule next time I'm driving. Thats how far, maybe half a car length?

noR,
Thats the funny thing, I DID have enough room to go around/over him. I reconsidered getting out cause he was twice my size. But I think I had the mile long line of cars behind me to back me up.

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
If you are not too sure about your distance judging (car-lenghts) ability, you can try the 2 second rule. Pick a spot on the road ahead of you, and as the car you are following passes it, begin counting "one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two" etc/ or "Mississippi", if you are so inclined) If you pass that same point before 2 seconds are up, you are too close. You can increase the time for higher speeds if you like.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
To top the 2-second rule, try 4. :) Gives you even more distance at speed.

-Des

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
I'll bet there as nothing you could have done to make this
guy happy. Some people are just looking for an excuse to
"go off" nowadays. The era of civility is long dead. Don't
worry about it, just chalk it up to another jerk on the road.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Another ROT is 1 car length for ever 10 mph of speed. Of course, here in Atlanta, you don't want to leave gaps otherwise people jump in them.

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
I leave room in front not because I need it but mainly if something happens I'm pretty sure the people behind me will need it. Am I the only one that assumes I'm in the top 5% of driving ability on the road? ;)

Also, as an insurance agent, I guess I'm more aware of avoiding losses and reducing my risk. I know a couple things about driving. #1 - getting behind the wheel of your car will be the most dangerous thing you do everyday. #2 - 25% of the other drivers have no insurance. #3 - 80% of the drivers on the road don't have enough or are UNDERinsured.

I think people take the responsibilty of controlling a vehicle too lightly. I admit I use the cell phone in the car...but some of the things I have seen people doing on the way to work makes me shake my head.

But as far as tailgating...as I was reading your post I was thinking the shape of the car had something to do with it. Maybe a little bit of the other driver's perception, but maybe a little yours as well in thinking you have enough room between you and the car in front. Who knows.

·
Thomas
361 Posts
There's no such thing as tailgaiting or rules of the road anymore! If you leave enough room, someone will jump in and cause you to back up even further.:D Putting all negative thoughts aside, I usually get ticked off when I can't see the headlights of the car that's following me whether I'm at a stop or moving. A good rule of thumb to use in slow traffic is, if you can see the person constantly looking at you in their mirror, then you're probably doing something wrong, especially if you don't know them.

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
GA 400...isn't that a NASCAR event? :p

First, lemme say Welcome to another GA Bug owner!:clap:

Second, given the sheer stupidity of so many drivers in ATL traffic, the fact 2 drivers got pissed at you is really meaningless.

The other day, I was in a line of traffic stopped for a school bus unloading. Some guy started honking and yelling for people to go.:confused: What a jerk!

Anyway...drive safe out there, and it wouldn't hurt to give the guy in front a little more space. You won't get there any later, and the extra margin may help you avoid an accident one day.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
I am the one always getting followed too close. I just tap my brakes and stare at them in the mirror. I flip em off when applicable. I like when they get out of the car though. i crack the window slightly and openly laugh at them to their face. I'm a road rager's worst nightmare. Once i tried to hit a guy with my car, but wised up when i thought of the lawsuit.

I don't ever follow too close. I freak out if i can't see headlights on the car behind me and people always cut in front of me. I'm told i drive like an old man. Oh well. My car, my rules.

John

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
Oy, John! That is not setting a "FineExampl"........ :scared:

Re: Leaving room, and someone squeezing in. Hey, it happens. And, it's not the end of the universe. Yes, they are jerks, but you are not. Just resume leaving room for that guy, and remember, "You're not the only one on the road".

Everybody, please, drive safely. We don't want to lose you, we don't want you to lose your bug. :grouphug:

·
I AM SMILEY MAN!!!
310 Posts
When I was younger I used to tailgate a lot. (as in most stories, this one has a "then one day" in it).. Then one day, when I was in high school, I was following very closely behind another car when that car suddenly swerved to go around a muffler in the road. I didn't swerve in time and ate the muffler. Let me tell you, that running over an obstacle the size of a muffler can really mess up your car. It flattened one of my tires, punched a hole in my gas tank, and tore up the brake lines on one side of the car.

I haven't tailgated since.

Another instance. I mostly drive my Chevy Avalanche (I have to visit construction sites often, and the NB is not a very practical off roader), and it has a very limited rear visibility on it because of the truck bed. Regularly cars will get in my butt and disappear from my review mirror. The only way I can see them is if there is a bend in the road, and I can spot them out of my rear view mirror. So, keeping that in mind, I was driving home from work one day, had no idea there was a car behind me, and I was following the road close to the curb. Up the road a bit was a car parked on the side of the road, and I felt like playing a little slalom, so I drove right up to the car and swerved at the last second… next thing I hear a loud bang-scrape-screaching… I look back, and a car had been following me, and didn't swerve in time, and hit the parked car at roughly 40 mph. I pulled over, and rushed over. There were already other people running to the scene. The person was hauled off in an ambulance, along with having to deal with their insurance agents, and getting ticketed for failure to maintain safe distance, and failure to maintain control of vehicle.

It's just not worth it to tailgate.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
Otto the egg said:
Another instance. I mostly drive my Chevy Avalanche (I have to visit construction sites often, and the NB is not a very practical off roader), and it has a very limited rear visibility on it because of the truck bed. Regularly cars will get in my butt and disappear from my review mirror. The only way I can see them is if there is a bend in the road, and I can spot them out of my rear view mirror. So, keeping that in mind, I was driving home from work one day, had no idea there was a car behind me, and I was following the road close to the curb. Up the road a bit was a car parked on the side of the road, and I felt like playing a little slalom, so I drove right up to the car and swerved at the last second… next thing I hear a loud bang-scrape-screaching… I look back, and a car had been following me, and didn't swerve in time, and hit the parked car at roughly 40 mph. I pulled over, and rushed over. There were already other people running to the scene. The person was hauled off in an ambulance, along with having to deal with their insurance agents, and getting ticketed for failure to maintain safe distance, and failure to maintain control of vehicle.

It's just not worth it to tailgate.
Sounds like you didnt keep that in mind. If a car was following you or not thats not a very safe or smart way to drive. Whether you meant to or not, you mainly what caused that accident. No they shouldnt have been so close behind you but if you were driving responsibly that never would have happened.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
Sounds like you didnt keep that in mind. If a car was following you or not thats not a very safe or smart way to drive. Whether you meant to or not, you mainly what caused that accident. No they shouldnt have been so close behind you but if you were driving responsibly that never would have happened.
I disagree. The person behind him is the one who was at fault. Whether he was driving responsibly or not, is beside the point. The fact is, the guy behind him was so close to him, that he couldn't be seen in the rearview mirror.

We're all responsible for our own actions. That's the problems with many people. They always wanna blame someone else.

The fact of the matter is, if this guy hadn't been following so close to Otto, he never would have been in the accident.

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
"If you can't see my mirror, I can't see you"*

*(Stickers on the backs of big-rigs)

1 - 20 of 98 Posts