NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted a Beetle for years but I like the old body style. So I want an older model and found a 2008 SE PZEV couple, automatic. Does anyone have this Beetle and has it been reliable? Consumer Reports wasn't too kind to this bug so I want some real life experience.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Mom, Wife, Lover of VW's
186 Posts
I have one, I've only had it a month, but so far it's been really great. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
PZEV/SULEV - I would never own one, VW or any other brand US or Import.

Here is the deal, PZEV cars have many special parts that sometimes are more expesive than the standard parts and for some brands the volume of PZEV/SULEV cars may be much lower and parts can be rather scarce and hard to find.

Even with the PZEV/SULEV extended warranty on some parts for 15 years/150,000 miles, this coverage is only available by the dealer network and UNFORTUNATELY both the manufactures and the dealers do not fully understand the PZEV/SULEV warranty and there is usually a long delay and big fight trying to get a firm and final answer on what is covered via the PZEV/SULEV warranty.

Case in point, I spent about 3 weeks back and forth with VW Of America trying to get a straight answer on what PZEV/SULEV warranty time, mileage and statewide vs nationwide coverage. I did get an answer, but I do not trust that when the person who answered my question is not working at VW Of America, then do I go through this again and then get a different answer??

Also when you go to sell the car, you may have people that do not want to touch the car if they know what a PZEV/SULEV car is!!

Case in point, some 2003-2004 BMW 3 Series that are SULEV cars have a stainless steel sealed fuel tank with a non serviceable fuel pump. When, not if, the fuel pump fails, you have to replace the entire fuel tank. Cost of tank is over $6000!!!! Yes, four figures. The fuel pump is covered for 15 years/150k miles, but beyond this, you are on your own. Also sometimes the fuel pumps become soft and loose pressure and volume. For $125 most owners just replace the fuel pump, but in this case you have to argue with the dealer that the fuel pump is soft and needs to be replaced.

Each his own, but I have no interest in being green on my wallet and having a car you have a hard time getting parts for and may have resale issues with.

Just a warning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My wife and I just sold our 09 Beetle, It was a fun car and the 2.5L 5 cyl. are bullitproof, but the electric stuff gave us trouble, we had over 20 items replace since new, most under warranty, if you do buy make sure its certified through VW.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Unfortunately dealer/manufacturer certification does not mean you will not have issues.
I'd be curious to know what are the quirky issues with the PZEV Beetle. Is it the BMW furl tank situation, or otherwise.

even if VW gives you a long extended warranty, us nB owners who hold on to our cars for long past warranties will be hammered.with enourmous repair/upkeep bills.

it's almost as if car manufacturers these days design cars as throw aways, compare to the cars of old, where you can hold on to them for a long period of time, and repair them yourself. as the old adage goes, they don't make them like they use to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts