VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my insturment cluster is completly messed up:mad: dealer wanted ALOT to fix this as well..he said that normally installing an aftermarket radio messes with things..he said that they had no problems communicating with the computer though so they pulled the instrument cluster..said there was stuff missing from it and it was obvious that someone had messed with it

i bought it less than a month ago from a dealer..are they responsible for anything if there was no warranty? i can't pass inspection or emissions without this cluster so im kinda sol for the time being

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Depends on your State's "Lemon Law"....but normally if you didn't have a warranty...then no, they're not responsible...Of course, If you explain this to the dealer, and you know them, and you have a rep with them, they might help you out....If they're a shady dealer, they could have tried to rolll the milage back...I would check you VIN and spend the money to find out about your car on www.carfax.com . If your car WAS a lemon, then you could possibly tell the dealer that the Better Business Bureau, and the State Transportation dept. would be interested in your problem...see how fast they move to rectify the situation:D

I'd go searching for a new/used cluster....here's one on ebay currently for only $29.95...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-New-Beetle-OEM-Combination-Instrument-Cluster-Unit_W0QQitemZ8018151955QQcategoryZ33675QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last but not least...make sure it's the cluster itself....could be you have a bad sending unit.....

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bananarama said:
Depends on your State's "Lemon Law"....but normally if you didn't have a warranty...then no, they're not responsible...Of course, If you explain this to the dealer, and you know them, and you have a rep with them, they might help you out....If they're a shady dealer, they could have tried to rolll the milage back...I would check you VIN and spend the money to find out about your car on www.carfax.com . If your car WAS a lemon, then you could possibly tell the dealer that the Better Business Bureau, and the State Transportation dept. would be interested in your problem...see how fast they move to rectify the situation:D

I'd go searching for a new/used cluster....here's one on ebay currently for only $29.95...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-New-Beetle-OEM-Combination-Instrument-Cluster-Unit_W0QQitemZ8018151955QQcategoryZ33675QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last but not least...make sure it's the cluster itself....could be you have a bad sending unit.....
bought the car in IL and i live in MO..never dealt with the dealer before..im calling him tomorrow to see what he says..i also need to pull mine back out to see what the numbers are on it...

car fax came back clean also..is there a way of getting a cluster and reprogramming it to have my correct mileage?

where is the sending unit located? the dealer said it was the physical unit but i could replace the sending unit if its cheap and just see if it fixes anything

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Since you bought the car out of state, with no warranty, I'd say you're screwed...but see what the dealer says, and try to make them repair it without costing you anything...

Your milage is stored in the ECU under the dash...not in the cluster itself...If I remember ( and please someone else jump in here and tell me I'm wrong...Fowvay? Desi? ) you should be able to plug in the new cluster and your milage should be on it....only thing that will be missing is your trip milage....

as for the sending unit? I'm not sure...One of the other Techies here would have to answer that...

BTW since you have a manual trans, the one I listed for you from ebay wont work...it's for an automatic trans....let me get back to you with some prices.....

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
volksbear on here has one from a 99 2.0 5 speed that he said was in good working condition...i pm'd him about getting it and hopefully that would work for me

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Banannarama,

sorry but you are mistaken.

any used cluster has the mileage stored in a chip in it. you cannot change the mileage on a used cluster and only get one shot on a brand new one. someone who knows vag com VERY WELL might be able to roll the numbers forward on a new cluster, but as far as I know only the dealer can roll this cluster forward and get the new cluster to play nice with your car.

VW recently changed the system so that not even the dealerships know what the "secret codes" are to get the cluster and ECU to play nice together are. they hook the car up to a new machine, and it goes over the internet to the home office at VWOA and after some magic words and presto changeo... MAYBE the car & cluster will play nice, maybe not..

Jazzcat, I wish you luck. hopefully the dealership will make it good for you. but I wont be holding my breath.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got an appointment to get it replaced tomorrow with a new unit...$505 is going to be the total damages on it:( called the dealership i bought the car from just to see what they said and nobody answered and no answering machine:rolleyes: just going to consider it an expensive mistake

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Growler said:
Banannarama,

sorry but you are mistaken.

any used cluster has the mileage stored in a chip in it. you cannot change the mileage on a used cluster and only get one shot on a brand new one. someone who knows vag com VERY WELL might be able to roll the numbers forward on a new cluster, but as far as I know only the dealer can roll this cluster forward and get the new cluster to play nice with your car.

VW recently changed the system so that not even the dealerships know what the "secret codes" are to get the cluster and ECU to play nice together are. they hook the car up to a new machine, and it goes over the internet to the home office at VWOA and after some magic words and presto changeo... MAYBE the car & cluster will play nice, maybe not..

Jazzcat, I wish you luck. hopefully the dealership will make it good for you. but I wont be holding my breath.
ok..like I said, I could be wrong, and growler corrected me.....Thank you Growler. Learn something new everyday....:D

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
no sweat bruddah.

Jazzcat, keep trying that other dealership, this is something they should at least go halfsies on since the CEL was on from the time of purchase right?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,299 Posts
It all depends on the circumstances really and if the people at the dealership are nice or not. I got a headlight replaced on mine even though it wasnt covered under warrenty. I guess cuz it is something that was supposed to pass inspection and then broke right after...no idea.

Good luck!

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Growler said:
no sweat bruddah.

Jazzcat, keep trying that other dealership, this is something they should at least go halfsies on since the CEL was on from the time of purchase right?
i haven't ever had a cel on...the light hasn't worked ever

i didn't see a light on when we test drove it so i didn't think anything was wrong..never thought it would be costing me 500 to get fixed :(

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
jazzcat said:
i haven't ever had a cel on...the light hasn't worked ever

i didn't see a light on when we test drove it so i didn't think anything was wrong..never thought it would be costing me 500 to get fixed :(
So you said the cluster was modified right? so... does that mean someone tried to remove the soldered in CEL LED? I could see where that would cause the OBD-II connection not to work if it is looking for a complete circuit through the light?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
This is a bizarre case. I wasn't aware that the mileage was kept in cluster, I've removed the glass on mine (and broke it, bought a automatic cluster for $75 on ebay and took the glass out of it and put into my 5spd 2002). It's very, very odd that VW has made the clusters to where only a dealer with special system [ie not a vagcom setup] can program them, seeing as how so many 2006's have bad clusters!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
kcfoxie said:
This is a bizarre case. I wasn't aware that the mileage was kept in cluster, I've removed the glass on mine (and broke it, bought a automatic cluster for $75 on ebay and took the glass out of it and put into my 5spd 2002). It's very, very odd that VW has made the clusters to where only a dealer with special system [ie not a vagcom setup] can program them, seeing as how so many 2006's have bad clusters!
Hence the reason that I thought the Milage was stored in the ECU, not the cluster....Can you imagine the attitude of the Tech at VW..."Damn stupid freaking clusters...%^@*#@ "....as he's got a back log of clusters to replace...and reprogram....lol

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
received my title yesterday and it had a note that says if they could help me in anyway to either email them or call...i sent an email last night hoping to get a responce

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just got an email from the dealership saying to give them a break down on parts/labor to fix the car and they would see what they could do...he said since there was so much time passed that he couldn't promise anything but i haven't even had the car a month as of today:confused:

at least i heard back from them :banana: hopefully this works out for the best

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:( guy said that the best he can do is giving me 20% off on the part:( and that since i didn't point it out before i bought it they couldn't do anything about it

this blows:( :( :(

·
What's in a title?
36 Posts
Can someone help me understand why an odd instrument cluster would make you fail an emissions test? Unless it was constantly SHOWING a CEL, why would it have one whit to do with an emissions test?

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ttupper said:
Can someone help me understand why an odd instrument cluster would make you fail an emissions test? Unless it was constantly SHOWING a CEL, why would it have one whit to do with an emissions test?
the cel has to be operating to pass emissions...if it doesn't light up car wont pass...at least on the obd II cars...older cars i dont think it matters

1 - 20 of 21 Posts