VW Beetle Forum banner

Found this in the Door Panel

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  N41EF 
#1 ·
When I recently did my door speakers, I found a plastic bracket, I see where it goes looking at this general diagram, it is part #2 in the image.

I see it supposed to hold something in place, but the door locks and other mechs work fine, should I breakdown the door and put back in place?

See less See more
#2 ·
The plastic bit ?

Not 100% sure but it looks like a lock shield, usually there to prevent someone using a slim jim to gain access.

Either way you as you say all works fine it is better to look at it like this:

If it was in the door it is probably broken as it should be riveted on so you may need a new one. Do you really want to strip down the whole door to find something and nothing. As my old professor would say 'if it ain't broken, don't try to mend it', if I know my old professor that piece of plastic would be headed for the trash with another one of his sayings 'out of sight, out of mind' :)

#3 ·
Not 100% sure but it looks like a lock shield, usually there to prevent someone using a slim jim to gain access.

Either way you as you say all works fine it is better to look at it like this:

If it was in the door it is probably broken as it should be riveted on so you may need a new one. Do you really want to strip down the whole door to find something and nothing. As my old professor would say 'if it ain't broken, don't try to mend it', if I know my old professor that piece of plastic would be headed for the trash with another one of his sayings 'out of sight, out of mind' :)
Thanks, good analogy! Obvioulsy it's been there a while. It is not broken, the rivet whole is ok.. I will leave it as is for now. Thanks again!

#4 ·
Looks like someone has been inside that door to replace a window regulator or? That shield tends to get left off when people are in a hurry to get the door back together. If your door operates well, and the window works, leave it alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.