NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m attempting to take the old fender off but am having trouble removing the filler neck. There’s a video on You Tube but the man says he’s really tired and apparently there’s different models. Any tips for a 2004 Beetle?

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here’s the tools I bot to fix the damage to “Marilyn” my 2004 Beetle.

1. 3M EZ Sand Multi Purpose Repair Material.
2. A gun to squeeze it out.
3. A mixing board.
4. Sand paper.
5. A squeegee

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I’m looking at some paint for my repair job and after typing in the code LG5V into Amazon I get a choice of one can of touch up paint or a two-can combo basecoat and clearcoat by Spectral Paints. It’s 1. Easy to apply
2. Super Durable Finish

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm glad you kept this thread going even though you didn't get a reply to your original question. I couldn't help or I would have definitely tried. Good luck repairing your beetle and it sucks you got setup into an accident!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haynes says on page 11-8 of the VW New Beetle repair manual:
Rear (see illustrations 13.13-13.17)
11 Loosen the rear wheel lug bolts, raise the vehicle, support it securely on jackstands and remove the rear wheels. As with the front clip, the rear wheels and bumper cover are best removed as a unit, then separated for individual part replacement.
12. Apply wide masking tape to prevent scratching the paint during fender removal.
13 From below, remove the fasteners retaining the bottom edge of of the rear bumper cover to the body. Disconnect the electrical connectors at the license plate light and backup lights.
14 In each rear fenderwell, remove the screws securing the fenderwell liner to the bumper cover ends, and the bolts holdingsbthe fender to the body.
15 Remove the taillights.
16 At the right-side fender, disconnect the fuel door release cable from the fuel door opening by prying out the small retaining clip inside the fuel door opening.
17 Open the rear hatch and remove the remaining bolts securing the fender and bumper cover to the body. With an assistant, spread the front portion of the plastic rear fenders apart enough to clear the body and lift off the rear clip. With the clip off, there is access to the bolts and reinforcement strips that hold the fenders to the rear bumper cover.
18 Installation is the reverse of removal. Make sure the anti-squeak material is in place at the fender/body joint.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Surf Boards!

I was looking for some books on auto-body repair to paint the fender of "Marilyn" my 2004 Beetle but the books I saw at the library talked about metal cars so the thought of painting a fiberglass fender was difficult to solve and then an idea popped into my head; SURFBOARDS!

I drove to the Surfing West shop in Simi Valley, CA but they were permanently closed and Google gave me the address of the owner's house but the only answer at the door was from a couple of dogs.

The Simi Valley library doesn't have any magazines on the subject so I'll check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lkge7reEaw

HANG TEN!

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
For really limited space and tight areas; I use a angled head driver tool. They are sold under a number of different brands; you can typically, find them at most home improvement stores, like Lowe's, Home Depot or your local hardware store.

"angle driver for screwdriver bits", Milwaukee, DeWalt,

Milwaukee 48-32-2100 OFF-SET Power Screwdriver Head

https://www.google.com/search?ei=l1a1W4rLKqiV0gKoo5rQBg&q=Screwdriver+Angle+Bit+Driver+Adapter+Screwdriver+Holder&oq=Screwdriver+Angle+Bit+Driver+Adapter+Screwdriver+Holder&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1312.1312..3405...0.0..0.130.130.0j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.7jnuFqHwZbc

Another option, is the small ratcheting box end wrenches; that are made to hold a bit and would give you access at 45 degrees. These are sold under many brands/names; from Gearwrench, to the Duralast/Titan brands (Autozone), Husky (Home Depot), Kobalt (Lowe's) and typically give you torx bits, along with phillips, sockets and other bits. These could work but the angled headed attachment; could be hooked up to a powered driver or electric screwdriver/gun and speed things up.

GearWrench
1/4 in. Drive Micro Driver Set (35-Piece)

https://www.google.com/search?q=bit+driver+micro+wrench&oq=bit+driver+micro+wrench&aqs=chrome..69i57.4439j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have had the angled driver attachment; for many years and find them useful for tight confined areas, for example, when working under the dash and in odd places, like under your fender! ;) I hope this helps! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I was looking for some books on auto-body repair to paint the fender of "Marilyn" my 2004 Beetle but the books I saw at the library talked about metal cars so the thought of painting a fiberglass fender was difficult to solve and then an idea popped into my head; SURFBOARDS!

I drove to the Surfing West shop in Simi Valley, CA but they were permanently closed and Google gave me the address of the owner's house but the only answer at the door was from a couple of dogs.

The Simi Valley library doesn't have any magazines on the subject so I'll check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lkge7reEaw

HANG TEN!
There are countless "how to" paint vids on youtube! Customspraymods is a channel I watch quite often and he has some good vids on painting car parts with gun and rattle can.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I returned the drill today since it was the tiny right angle screwdriver that did the trick. I’m thinking I might as well return the flexible right angle tool too since it didn’t work either.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Yeah, there certainly are; a number of different options, use what works for you. If you want a "nicer" tool; then the cheapie one, that you found, that worked, there are a number of different brands, that make small ratcheting wrenches that come with a bit kit with various bits.

I like quality tools and it can be frustrating, long term, to have a "cheap tool'! :)

Here are some options; I would consider with Gearwrench, probably being the highest quality brand but Kobalt, being easy to warranty, if things break.

GearWrench 35 pc. MicroDriver™ Set
Item # 00930035000 Model # 30035 (good price online @ $20)

https://www.google.com/search?q=GearWrench+35+pc.+MicroDriver™+Set+Item+#+00930035000+Model+#+30035&oq=GearWrench+35+pc.+MicroDriver™+Set+Item+#+00930035000+Model+#+30035&aqs=chrome..69i57.708j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Titan 11207 1/4in. Shank Offset Micro Bit Driver ($13 on Autozone's website/saw them at my local store)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Titan+11207+1/4in.+Shank+Offset+Micro+Bit+Driver&oq=Titan+11207+1/4in.+Shank+Offset+Micro+Bit+Driver&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Kobalt 35-piece right angle driver set (on sale @ Lowe's for $20)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kobalt+35-piece+right+angle+driver+set&oq=Kobalt+35-piece+right+angle+driver+set&aqs=chrome..69i57.1091j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Anyway, glad you figured it out; I say, return all your junk tools and get a nice angle wrench set with a good amount of bits and you can use that, next time! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts