NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read in the forums that others have had this problem. I couldn't understand what they were talking about until I started to inspect mine! Holy Crap! Both sides of mine are fraying. Others said the dealers replaced their tops. Well I took mine in today and they are just going to replace the seam. This seems not quite right. Any sugestions? It would seem that replacing both seams (one on each side) and it is a long seam that goes the length of the top, that it would be easier and more economical to replace the entire thing. Thoughts? Also the dealer said they MIGHT have the "05 window software and IF they do they will install it. "MIGHT? IF?"
I just want my buggy back! :(

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Is there another dealer near you?
They are suppose to replace the top. That is what my friends 2004 was doing (on driver side) and they replaced the whole top. However, they scratched her car to heck while doing it. *RAGE* ...
I would get a 'second opinion'.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Call VWoA. Get them directory involved. ANYTIME A VW GOES TO A DEALER VWOA NEEDS TO GET INVOLVED.

I have yet to find a dealer that's worth a horses patoot that treats anyone like respect, regardless of make. We've had to involve Ford HQ, VWoA and Honda in all of our car repairs -- for issues such as this. The warranty and our friends (and forum members) got service one way and they try and pull a fast one on us. Good luck, please tell us how it works out!

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I called VWoA and they said they stand by the dealers decision to just "fix" the top! Now I called the dealer and they have done something to the headliner and now I don't get it back until Monday because they have to replace the headliner. UGH! Just shoot me now and put me out of my misery!

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
TampaDub said:
i have read in the forums that others have had this problem. I couldn't understand what they were talking about until I started to inspect mine! Holy Crap! Both sides of mine are fraying. Others said the dealers replaced their tops. Well I took mine in today and they are just going to replace the seam. This seems not quite right. Any sugestions? It would seem that replacing both seams (one on each side) and it is a long seam that goes the length of the top, that it would be easier and more economical to replace the entire thing. Thoughts? Also the dealer said they MIGHT have the "05 window software and IF they do they will install it. "MIGHT? IF?"
I just want my buggy back! :(
Same thing with mine, the dealer sent the vert out to a top shop and they replaced the seam, but u hafta get the '05 drop software or it'll happen again...

·
not a noob
145 Posts
The reason the dealer is trying to go that route because a new top is like $2-3k. The beetle tops are not difficult to take off or put back on, so sewing on new bindings is a cheap option. However, pay attention to how the top fits/looks, because to sew new bindings on that, I think you also have to re-sew on the plastic extrusions that are sewn into the bindings. These extrusions slide and clip into channels above the seals. I highly doubt they replaced those extrusions with new ones. It most likely won't be an issue, but if those extrusions are sewn on the wrong way, the top could fitment could be off. Also, they re-sew the extrusions, it makes them weaker, because now they have twice as many needle holes in them. Again, it shouldn't be an issue, but just keep an eye on it.
Oh yeah...the headliner they screwed up costs about $2-$3k to replace also :confused: Gotta love VW :mad: Luckily, a few companies have been making/test fitting New Beetle tops, which should be much, much cheaper.

·
Madison04
25 Posts
No biggie

Don't worry i had that happen to mine too, and they only replaced the seams which is good bc it looked perfect afterwards, make sure they update your windows so it will drop your windows at the right time so it won't get snag on ur top and rip it anymore.

·
TruBlu
3 Posts
kcfoxie said:
Call VWoA. Get them directory involved. ANYTIME A VW GOES TO A DEALER VWOA NEEDS TO GET INVOLVED.

I have yet to find a dealer that's worth a horses patoot that treats anyone like respect, regardless of make. We've had to involve Ford HQ, VWoA and Honda in all of our car repairs -- for issues such as this. The warranty and our friends (and forum members) got service one way and they try and pull a fast one on us. Good luck, please tell us how it works out!
Not too long a ride from Raleigh, so give Frema VW in Goldsboro a try. They have been nothing but wonderfully competent and accommodating!

·
Registered
30 Posts
madison04 said:
Don't worry i had that happen to mine too, and they only replaced the seams which is good bc it looked perfect afterwards, make sure they update your windows so it will drop your windows at the right time so it won't get snag on ur top and rip it anymore.

OK all...can you expand on things for me?
I have an 05.
The headliner is coming off so the car is going back to the dealership to have that fixed. However, I would like to know how I can tell if my 05 has this window thing that needs updating ? Are these updates happening to cars from before 05 or is it a new update that needs to be done to all the cars?

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Ok - where do I look for my top fraying? Someone else already requested this but can you tell me exactly where to look and if anyone has pics, can you post???
Also - the '05 window software you are all talking about, what do I need to tell my dealer?? I asked and was told "VW has not found a solution for this yet." I even called customer care (or whatever it's called) and they told me "Well we rely on our technicians to stay up to date on that kind of information." Well obviously you need to do a better job of it!!!!!
My dealer sucks. The best one I ever dealt with was the one in/near Arlington, TX. Everytime I went there they took care of everything and my car came back cleaned inside and out. I have not been able to find one as good in CA yet. :(

·
Registered
559 Posts
Vw Dealer

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Have you tried Community VW in Santa Maria????

:rockband: :rockband: :rockband: :rockband: :rockband:

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
KNEWBUG said:
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Have you tried Community VW in Santa Maria????

No I haven't tried them yet...have you ever been there? Kimball in SLO SUCKS!! Don't ever go there!! Sucks is hardly the word! They are so beyond suck there is no word for it!! In CA I have been to Kimball in SLO and Bob Lewis in Newark (East Bay area). Bob Lewis is ok, not great.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Community Vw

:dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

Earl "CUEBALL" uses them quit often, I have been there at there car show. The next show is Sept 9th, I will be up there then.

·
Howdy
140 Posts
TampaDub said:
I had this repaired. They did a crappy job. Looked like crap! I complained and they replaced the whole top. It now looks like it should.
I had mine done a few days ago. They did a great job. Good as new. The only problem was I had windnoise whn I picked it up. They had to adjust the door glasses.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts