VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2000 Volkswagen new beetle 1.8l turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the end of my rope with this car! But, it's all I got still so I continue trying to keep it alive. I've had several ongoing little issues that I work out as I go, with what I can afford and what I am capable of doing... please tell me there is a way around changing freeze plugs without having to take the whole car apart. I'm not sure which one, but at least one is out in the back of the motor. I haven't been able to find anything yet with specifics as to where they are all located and what size they are and how to do the job... so all info is super appreciated!

· Registered
2000 Volkswagen new beetle 1.8l turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it happened after we had a freeze( ice age 3) a few weeks ago, everything froze, Temps in the negatives, for a whole week. It had already been sitting for other reasons for some time, and didn't have antifreeze because one of the other reasons was that I was needing to do a flush of the coolant system and purging it of air. I had a whole jog of the g12 coolant, but I am the BROKEST b**** ever and that juh cost nearly 40$ and I wasn't gonna put it in the car until I had the other stuff done because I couldn't afford it.. well in the meantime I've had all the extras imaginable going on in my life also, and just so happens during the ice age 3 I was in a 'situation, with no electricity and was staying at a friend's place for 2 weeks and of course I had no ride to get to my car before the ice age hit. When I came home honestly I expected that I had a cracked head/block or something catastrophic like that and deemed it all a whole loss. I didn't even wanna go outside and look at it lol, so a buddy of mine shows up one morning out the blue and was all Gung ho to finally come help me work on my car after I'd been hounding him for months about it, but I was not up yet and he was leaving when I got out there, but my car was running, he claimed to have put water in it and put the battery on and I did hear it start right up just fine, but he said he put water in it and 'checked' it and it wasn't leaking or anything, but I knew he couldn't have done much checking cuz there is not even a temperature Guage on the dash so I proceeded to finish 'projects myself after he left, and of course didn't come right back as he said, but anyways I changed the coil I had waiting to be done, looked at everything under the hood really hard and for long time lol searching for signs of new damages, checked the oil and other fluids, got to water... coolant bottle empty as expected so I grab one Lil pitcher of water and pour it in before I even tried to start it, and thought at first the coolant reservoir must have been busted and it was going straight to the ground, but it wasn't that, it comes from behind the motor somewhere. I haven't been able to locate exactly yet cuz I can't see back there but it pours straight out fast as you can pour it in with the car of. I haven't started it at all still cuz I've just been trying to figure out if I can and how to go about fixing because I expected way worse, but figure it's still my luck and as usual a seemingly simple tiny cheap little replacement part is dancing in my face singing a little ha ha song about terrible endings

· 5/23/10 <3
11,770 Posts
I don't hear of busted freeze plugs often. I would be its something else. Maybe a busted coolant hose/connection?

· Registered
19,260 Posts
Most auto parts stores should be able to get you a aftermarket kit or you could go to your vw dealer for genuine vw parts.

This comes up on fcpeuro:

Engine block:

Location-Engine Block, 14mm

Audi VW Expansion Plug - Genuine VW Audi N01190710

A3, A4, A4 Quattro, Beetle, Cabrio, Eos, Golf, & more

Price each: $1.49

For the head:

Location-Cylinder Head, 28mm

Audi VW Engine Expansion Plug - Genuine VW Audi N0119085

A4, A4 Quattro, A6, A6 Quattro, A8 Quattro, & more

Price each: $3.09

· Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2005 VW Bug Convertible 1.8L TURBO W/MT and had disappearing coolant (from the rear of the engine) not long ago. It turns out there is a plastic 'flange' (VW #06A121132AQ) in the heater hoses. That was leaking on mine. I have a trusted shop and they changed it and the hoses for me.

· Registered
19,260 Posts
I would pressure test the cooling system; so, you can pinpoint the coolant leak. This is the pressure tester i use; it comes with the correct adapter for the vw coolant bottle:

PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE
Radiator Pressure Tester Kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts