VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Aimee M.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My husband was gone all morning Saturday. I dimly remember now laying in bed half-asleep listening to him on the phone with someone who was going to pick him up for something. He is always helping people with their computers or doing quick fixes on their cars, so I figured it was someone from work needing help with something. I slept more.

I woke up finally feeling sort of deprived. It was the first day in a long while that we both had the day off, and instead of being here, he was conspicuously absent. I was lonely.

I asked our roommate where Jamie was, and got the reply "out doing an errand I guess" or something to that effect. How helpful. I ate something for breakfast, piddled about on the computer, and then finally sent a text message to Jamie asking where he was.

He actually walked in shortly after I sent it, and started looking on the bar for something. He asked me to throw some shoes on and come help him clean out the garage- the Jetta was out and the Camaro needed to go in. The boys have been slowly replacing the clutch in our roommate's Jetta for weeks now. My assumption was that he had gotta back from whatever errand he'd run earlier and had been finishing up the car- our roommate must have not been needed for that (my husband wants company and light-duty help to work on a car- especially one that isn't his).

I try to find some shoes and can't because I haven't cleaned out the wreck of a closet yet, so I stick my feet in some slippers and head downstairs with him, hoping I don't have to touch anything too yucky.

Jamie points out a green Beetle int he parking lot next to the Camaro. I go "aw" as always. He digs in his pocket and throws something at me. I figure it's the garage door opener, and I catch it and flip it over looking for the button to hit. Jamie was too excited to wait for my befuddled brain to sort out the VW emblem on the weird little plastic square I was holding. He said "it's YOUR Beetle". I was holding the key to that gorgeous shiny Gecko Green round thing parked next to my husband's black and white Camaro!

It was hard to breathe. I jumped up and down and hugged my husband. I squealed like a little girl. I was afraid to touch it. I hugged it. I sat in the driver's seat and cried a little in sheer emotional overload.

I FINALLY HAVE A BEETLE!!!

Our first trip in it was to celebrate with lunch at Texas Roadhouse. The first cargo to be hauled were leftover boxes from lunch- we all overestimated our stomachs.

Without further ado: pictures!!

(Can someone help me figure out what trim level I have? It's supposed to be in the title, but I have no idea how to determine that.)

The morning I adopted my Beetle :D The only difference is here I found some real shoes to wear to go to lunch.

Sunroof!!

The armrest folds up.

Heated seats!!

Look The owner's manual has a special pocket way up high in the glove box. Aw!!

Glove box plastic around the latch is broken.

·
Aimee M.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

And a sticker was stuck there.

And now a turn on the runway!

A couple tiny scuffs in fender paint.

Nifty textured running board bottoms!

The latch to get in the back...

Like this.

So cool. The front seat belts hook to a slide on the bottom- no tripping over them getting out of the backseat!

In case the armrest is up, no worries. The cup holder slides back further to accommodate!

·
Aimee M.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Can't lean to the side to see around the front peoples- head hits the wall!

The leg room if I were to sit behind a me-sized driver.

Still comfy behind the boys, though.

Broken plastic around the rear seatback lever to let it fold down.

Handles!

Hmmm, a pull-tab.

I think that is supposed to go flat....Cup showed me how, but I can't remember. After reading the owner's manual: I think that pull-tab lets you raise the backseat cushions forward, and then the seatback folds down. The headrests come out and go into little holders set into the seat cushions (now facing upwards). I have to go try that and see if it works.

Little button inside the hatch- it has a cord in there, so says the owner's manual, that you can yank to let yourself out from inside.

Stupid rivets!! Argghh.

Whew, just some dirt.

Aw, but that really is a chip in the paint.

·
Aimee M.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Foam around the battery box.
Hey! How are you supposed to jump start a Beetle? You can't reach the negative battery post... the owner's manual says hook it to X, assuming your battery is the dead one. It doesn't tell you where X is.

It drips when I open the hood.

Scuff on the dash.

And scratches in the steering wheel emblem.

Have to refold the driver's side headrest.

And get a vase!

Squeee! I have a Beetle!!

Did you know there are such things as Frog Beetles??

And thus, my Beetle is named for the Genus of these nifty insects: SAGRA!!

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Yes that's how the back seat folds flat. Paintscratch.com has paint for minor repairs. A clay bar might help too. Whether you're jumping someone else's car or your own, the negative cable is the grounding cable, it clamps on to part of the body. I think the manual points out the grounding points on the Beetle. The manual tranny is going to be awesome in snow and ice, much easier than an auto. Did you get service records? Hopefully she(he?) has had regular oil changes. :)

·
Peave Love and Beetles
844 Posts
Congrats :bigthumb: hes a great looking bug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on the beetle! I just got a new one, too. Mine is a 2002 without the sunroof. I LOVE it. It has 69,000 miles on it when I bought it last month. I named her Sweet Pea. It's the same color....

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Yours is a cyber green, Aimee's is gecko green. Both green, but different! :)

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Congrats on the beetle! I just got a new one, too. Mine is a 2002 without the sunroof. I LOVE it. It has 69,000 miles on it when I bought it last month. I named her Sweet Pea. It's the same color....
Welcome to you and Sweet Pea. Drop over to the Newbie area to get a hello.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Aimee M.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We met Coribug and Daisy on Friday!
We had to reschedule from our Thursday attempt to meet up because my husband had the day off and was treating me to beetlebug wanderings, which turned into a shopping trip and wonderful day enjoying each other's company. We also had fun over the weekend.

Out shopping. My husband parked here without me having to ask him to :)

The coffee shop was closed, so we went to Hancock's to look at fabric. I didn't really do much looking, to be honest. Cori and I mostly talked.
This little bug was already here, so of course I had to park next to it while Cori found coffee elsewhere and came to join me. We met it's elderly lady owner as she left. She said she always tries to find NB's to park next to, and she's owned several including a few classics. Her bug had the prettiest flowers in the bud vase, with something sparkly with them.

Daisy and Sagra.

I finally remembered to take a picture of the dash lights at night. I think they are so pretty! LEDs are difficult to focus on, though.

Saturday was a bike swap, but the tandem bicycle was too large for me. We saw lots of other really neat bikes, though. Afterwards, we went to a bead store. I think we found the best bead store in Colorado, possibly the world. They had so much stuff! My husband went off on his own browsing, and bought me a bag full of goddies- green and black beads in various shapes and sizes. He had to leave for work, but my sister offered to drive me home, so he took Sagra and went to work. We must have been in the store another hour at least, just looking! When I saw these little beetlebug beads, I had to have them. No green ones, but I could paint them I guess. I'm thinking earrings, so I got two of them :D.

My camera takes great pictures, but they are too large to upload the way Coribug told me. I think I might have fixed a setting to make them smaller? We'll see. For now, Photobucket will have to do.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Great pictures :) you can resize your larger pictures and then you can upload them here

·
Aimee M.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sagra flashed the red thermometer coolant light at me this morning when I took him to work to show him off. After my bus route, I opened his hood and the orangey liquid in the little globe does look low.

I stopped at Autozone, and they looked up coolant for me because i thought it had to be special. The guy said phosphate free, which is apparently not special. So I bought some pre-mixed. It's sitting in the passenger seat because I still not sure about it... also if its just regular coolant, then Jamie might already have some in the garage- which means I'll return this jug.

I dunno...

EDIT: I called the Boulder dealership, which is closest to where I live currently. A nice-sounding guy named Brian confirmed that Sagra needs a special coolant called G12, which I've read here also after doing a search. He also echoed that if you add any other type of coolant, the stuff will gel up and get everything all clogged. He said it's pink. (I'm going to look again, it sure seemed orange to me :p) And the best part- he said he'll go ahead and top off my little car for free, I don't have to buy a big jug from them! Sounds good to me, although I didn't know you could do that when the car was hot, I'd be driving 25-30 minutes to get there. I should have enough time to make it there after route before they close.

·
Aimee M.
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The new camera setting worked fine :D
I found my ancient glass chalk from when I drew on my bus windows 4 years ago, so i simply HAD to play with it. You know, for the benefit of showing Sagra off for the coworkers... or maybe just because it made me happy.
It was dark when I did it, so by daylight it isn't quite as lovely a job as I thought, but I made sure to wash out the sponge on the chalk tube this time- so maybe it won't be so finicky in the future.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 99 Posts