NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
formerly known as BROWN E
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think there will be a difference on the butt dyno as well as the real dyno to the wheels? Just wondering..i'm sure there will be a little more power up top and possibly midrange but I want to know if anyone has done this and felt it?

I'm thinking about the GHL that is on the parts and accessories forum and contemplating whether or not it's worth it. I've got a crap neuspeed 2.25 exhaust. I understand the 2.15 is the stock exhaust diameter and the neuspeed is just .10 larger. What do yall think?

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
You can go 3" with a stock turbo. It just needs to have a new fuel map ("chip").

Changing catbacks without changing the downpipe will do virtually nothing, though. If anything, keep your catback and put in a 2.5" or 3" downpipe -- but again, this is only if the car is chipped.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
since u already have a 3" pre cat, i would get the 3" catback too...and it will be nice to have if yo uever upgrade the turbo, cuz you can keep that exhaust

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
3" d.p and a 2 1/2" greddy catback. i feel mine. but i'm also giac chipped. :)

jd

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Stock turbo and IC...

Anaconda said:
Do you think there will be a difference on the butt dyno as well as the real dyno to the wheels? Just wondering..i'm sure there will be a little more power up top and possibly midrange but I want to know if anyone has done this and felt it?

I'm thinking about the GHL that is on the parts and accessories forum and contemplating whether or not it's worth it. I've got a crap neuspeed 2.25 exhaust. I understand the 2.15 is the stock exhaust diameter and the neuspeed is just .10 larger. What do yall think?
First of all, the very best source for any VW exhaust components is from Techtonic Tuning. Check out their website for a complete list via. a catalog download of all products. With the stock 1.8 turbo and Intercooler, and a change to the K&N filter, the 2.5 down pipe with a better flowing cat. convertor and a change to the remaining exhaust from 2.25 to 2.5 with free flow resonator and performance muffler is about all the performance improvements you can get. Of course if you run a larger turbo and larger IC, ect. then a ub-grade to 3" becomes usable. With the stock set-up and free flow air intake filter(K&N) a 2.5" DP, free flow cat and the remaining components ie. resonator and free flowing muffler is the best and most for the money. Tectonics Tuning makes premium exhaust components ata reasonable price... JK

·
Formerly Hazard143
240 Posts
I dynoed my car a week ago at a club dyno day. I am running APR 93, short ram intake, stock TIP, 2.5" downpipe, stock diameter catback remus muffler with a tdi midpipe.

my whp was 191.

Another member in my club has a 2oth anniv golf with same mods as me plus a samco TIP, but he has a 3" GHL turboback.

he put down 188 whp same day minutes after me. so he has more mods, and less hp. do the math. also, I raced him three times and every time i would easily pull away. hope my input can aid in your decision:D

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
I have yet to see any proof that the GHL exhaust makes any additional hp. There was a controversial test comparison test performed by a leading european car magazine where they proved that some very exspensive after market exhausts actually reduced power while some cheaper ones made substantial improvements.

Pretty much it came down to three winners.. Autotech, Eurosport and Techtonics each providing between 10-13 additional hp with only a catback. A quality 2.5 inch down pipe will add between 10 and 20 additional hp depending on cat chip tuning, etc.

Not a big surprise to me since they have always been leaders in the Volkswagen tuning game and don't fudge numbers for sales unlike some companies.. *cough* nospeed *cough*.

Magnaflow and Neuspeed were some of the worst in the test with total hp numbers below stock output... pretty lousy way to spend your hard earned cash I would say.

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
before I was Revo'd, I put on a 2.5" Eurosport DP and Cat back.
With the stock programming, it made a nice difference up top.
The car was butter smooth and it pulled much better from 3500rpm on up.

So if you get a DP too, you'll feel it.
With the stock DP, you may not feel much difference.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Back pressure....

MattP said:
I dynoed my car a week ago at a club dyno day. I am running APR 93, short ram intake, stock TIP, 2.5" downpipe, stock diameter catback remus muffler with a tdi midpipe.

my whp was 191.

Another member in my club has a 2oth anniv golf with same mods as me plus a samco TIP, but he has a 3" GHL turboback.

he put down 188 whp same day minutes after me. so he has more mods, and less hp. do the math. also, I raced him three times and every time i would easily pull away. hope my input can aid in your decision:D
You have just illustrated the importance of adequate back pressure. If you are running the stock turbo, a 3" DP and on exhaust is pretty useless. Of course there are other variables that have to be factored in, such as, oil type, air filter medium, spark plugs,ect...JK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts