VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently bought a 2000 1.9 TDI Beetle which has had a life of neglect and abuse and so i am putting alot of time and $ into bringing it back to the good life. It has 200 000 km on its 1.9 diesel engine, so i had the*water*pump*and*timing belt*and tensioners done, serpentine belt and crank seal. The motor mounts were worn out and damaged so they are now changed. All the brakes and rotors are now new! I still have a mystery power drain that is killing my new battery and a mirror switch to change along with a fiew cosmetic details that will wait. The pressing issue that I'm having some trouble with that i'm hoping someone can give me some advice on is my passenger side front end.*so I'm having a rubbing grinding sound from my front passengers wheel when I turn it to the left, but only when under power, when i push in the clutch there is no noise.... so i thought it must be the CV so i changed the CV axel assembly with both new inner and outer CV's. Nope! in the process i noticed the wheel bearing was gone so I changed the wheel bearing and realized the tie rod was seased and the ball joint joining the knuckle to the control arm was so loose and the boot was open so I changed both of them also. So far... new CV shaft etc. New wheel bearing , new tie rod and ball joint and if anything the noise sounds worse. Everything is torqued down to spec and I am running out of ideas. To make it more complicated the car was in a accident on that corner so I'm not sure if something is rubbing or if maybe the shocks are worn out and grinding due to body roll in the corner. It only happens when turning left but not under power.*Thanks for any advice or ideas.*

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess what i'm really asking....is it possible a worn suspension can cause this grinding noise when turning? could it cause rubbing against the strut or wheel well?
thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Have you checked the strut bushings at the top?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bushing looks ok, and the shock tower is rebounding properly. On another note, I checked the power steering fluid this evening after reading some posts and its grey and feels watery and I noticed the sound only starts once the car has been running for a while. We have only had the car 2 weeks so I'm still checking it out. I definately need to change the fluid asap before the pump is destroyed if it isn't already. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Thanks

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
The bushing looks ok, and the shock tower is rebounding properly. On another note, I checked the power steering fluid this evening after reading some posts and its grey and feels watery and I noticed the sound only starts once the car has been running for a while. We have only had the car 2 weeks so I'm still checking it out. I definately need to change the fluid asap before the pump is destroyed if it isn't already. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Thanks
Yeah that doesn't sound right.. the fluid should definitely be green lol. Flush it and fill it with the right stuff, if it's not too late.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
The alternator pulley can make a grinding noise when it needs replaced. Good luck with finding the cause of the noise!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yeah that doesn't sound right.. the fluid should definitely be green lol. Flush it and fill it with the right stuff, if it's not too late.
I'm going to agree with this one here and say try flushing the steering system with good on spec fluid. Fairly inexpensive to do and it might be the cure you're looking for.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys, I did a power steering fluid flush and new oem green fluid. The growling sound is still there and it seems to be definitely linked to my steering. When driving and turning left or even just quick short pulls of the wheel to the left i hear a growling sound. when turning left it is a constant growling/ rubbing sound the entire time i turn and even for a short bit once i straighten up. The sharper the turn the louder the sound. The odd thing is if I push in the clutch the sound goes away, I suspect this is because the gears on the left side of the rack are worn out and when under pressure they are rubbing on each other but when not under power there is not as much pressure against the teeth of the gear? Does anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Sounds like a problem with your transmission, possibly the differential. I missed the part about the clutch in your first post otherwise I would have said this earlier.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Try some research on what the symptoms are when the rivets start coming off the ring gear. This is a fairly common problem on the o2 J transmissions, you must pull the box and disassemble it to get to the ring and pinion. Hopefully it is in the steering gear! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a problem with your transmission, possibly the differential. I missed the part about the clutch in your first post otherwise I would have said this earlier.
janitz wins the prize! transmission differential gearing on the passengers side is damaged! I took it into my vw guy and thats the problem I'm waiting on options now.
Thanks all

·
Registered
950 Posts
Holy dynamo, those are expensive. I'm looking at ID Parts and a new limited slip differential (not OEM) is $800, plus the install kit at $99.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i figure it would be somewhere around a thousand bucks. Im waiting to hear back if the frame is bent from a previous accident before i bought the car and if thats the issue or if its just the diff. I will make decisions once I get more info. worst case I figure is I have to buy another beetle with high miles and transplant the engine I have that has 200 000 km on it. Im sure a donor car would come in handy down the road but thats what i call going all in! :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts