NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any mods for reducing the "lift" under hard acel.? This was not an issue with my old 2.0 but 1.8t definitely is. I gues the inverse of this is rear end "squat" but that doesn't seem to be a problem ata least from the seat of the pants feel.

Thanks for suggestions!

GEE

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Depends on what you personally want...like hannaco said, be prepared for a bunch of answers...If you're looking for a little lower profile, and better response with no squat? the Eibach pro kit is good with a 1.5-1.75" drop...if you want extreme handling and stiffer response, coil overs are the way to go....and if you want to adjust your shock performance, then adjustable coil overs are it, but be prepared to roll out some money...

It's all personal preference I like the Eibach's..

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Fowvay said:
There are lots of good options out there.

I of course could recommend my personal setup but unfortunatly it is not available in the United States. It is made in Denmark and sold thru out europe.

www.shox.com has an excellant selection of products and very resonalbe pricing.

I've driven Tom's car and it is FLAT. Like, 0 roll at all or squat, and that includes under hard braking around corners.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The best thing that you could do is to just drive a bunch of different cars. When you drive the right one, you will know it. Then get what they installed. Everyone reacts differently to the way the springs/shocks/swaybars/bushings are setup. I like the way mine is setup. Wife hates it. One of the local longtime VW people has blessed it. While others are polite and say nothing.
You will have to live with it, so get something you like. Don't buy just because someone else says that it is da bomb.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
The Cheat said:
I've driven Tom's car and it is FLAT. Like, 0 roll at all or squat, and that includes under hard braking around corners.
While I appreciate your enthusiasm I must correct this statement slightly.

All cars have roll and weight transfer in cornering unless the suspension is welded and you have steel tires. It's just the law of physics at work. Nothing we can do about that one.

However that being said it is fair to say that compared to the stock suspension Pomelo feels like there is 0 roll or squat.

Some people might find my suspension to be too firm. I am obviously not one of those people. With the 16 inch stock wheels and tires the ride to me is down right comfortable and extremly controlled like a BMW M3 might be.

With the 18s it gets a tiny bit harsh over highway joints and short quick bumps but over the big stuff it still remains extremly composed and compliant.

I have the APEX SPORT Suspension Kit which includes matched springs and shocks. They are TUV approved which most springs and shocks on the market are NOT. It is an extremly rigorous and difficult test to pass.

You must also be prepared for one odd little side effect of reducing roll, squat and dive. Your car will actually feel slower. In our minds eye the lack of movement = slower. While this isn't true it does trick our mind into feeling like we are moving slower than we are.

Its the same way with power delivery. I have worked extremly hard to get my power band as smooth as possible. The end result is that too a lot of people it doesn't feel much faster than say... a TurboS. The truth is in the numbers though..

It is easy to make a slow car feel fast. It is much harder to make a fast car feel slow.

Tom aka Fowvay

Here is the link to the site. They do have a North American distributor if you are interested. Just click the pic.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Like Tom said, it's easy to make a slow car feel fast, but hard to make a fast car feel slow.

He's done an excellent job with that on Pomelo. It's the smoothest, most balanced car out, and while it doesn't feel a bit faster than a stock Turbo S would, the proof is in the numbers, and there were probably 650lbs or so of people in the car (I'm a big guy and so is Tom) the day I drove her. To tell you the truth, accelerating with Pomelo felt only slightly faster than my TDI (which is way slower btw), but I was in 4th doing 90 getting on the highway before you could say "holyjeezwhatacarandwhoaisthingthingfast" ...well, something more non work-safe was uttered, but you get the idea. :D Never been in a car that was smooth and deceptively quick like that ever, and probably will be a long time before that happens again.

Hehehe, I'm still just a WEE BIT excited from my Pomelo road test, eh Tom? :O)

Driving my car afterwards 10 hours home afterwards felt like 100 hours...my poor Jenna felt like a slug, when in reality, she's a 15.4 second 1/4 with all mods on. My suspension is too compliant for my tastes as well...I'm ordering coilovers from Apex if they offer them.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
What I remember most is your over enthusiasm in a residential zone where you accidently more than tripled (almost quadrupled) the speed limit while remarking "hmm she isn't as fast as I thought she would be" then when I mentioned your speed you turned flush and slowed way down. That's also when you started babbling incoherently about how fast pomelo is. :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
jazzcat said:
larger front sway bar should help with it...at least thats how i cured front end raising on all of my other cars
A front sway bar, otherwise known as an anti roll bar or arb, will not do anything what-so-ever to help lift and squat. Its an anti roll bar, so reduces roll only (IE side to side motion).
Stiffer springs and shocks, especially at the rear, plus a weight reduction is about the only way to reduce lift and squat.
Standard 16" wheels and tyres also contribute to lift & squat on Beetles.
Either you imagined curing it, or you did something else to your cars at the same time as fitting the arb's, which cured the issue for you.

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
Good job EggHead, you are absolutely correct about anti-sway bars having nothing to do with a cars forward/rearward weight transfer during straight line acceleration, bushings, dampeners and springs are the primary culprits that are responsible for dealing with this issue.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
EggHead said:
A front sway bar, otherwise known as an anti roll bar or arb, will not do anything what-so-ever to help lift and squat. Its an anti roll bar, so reduces roll only (IE side to side motion).
Stiffer springs and shocks, especially at the rear, plus a weight reduction is about the only way to reduce lift and squat.
Standard 16" wheels and tyres also contribute to lift & squat on Beetles.
Either you imagined curing it, or you did something else to your cars at the same time as fitting the arb's, which cured the issue for you.
i actually just figured for all of my other cars i wanted the front end to come up so i would completly remove the front sway bar and anything associated with it...when i would put aftermarket sway bar end links and upgrade the front sway bar(before it just all went into the trash) the front end would raise alot less than with the stock parts attached

i wouldn't recommend removing front sway bars on any car unless it is strictly drag oriented

thanks for correcting me though

1 - 18 of 18 Posts