VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 AVH engine code. The old O2 sensor seized and it came out with no threads. I have tried chasing the thread with a thread chaser, but the hole is hard to get to and I still do not know if I am going in square. Even if I got a thread tap, I am not sure that I could get it started square. I am thinking that I should remove the manifold to get the problem solved right. Has anyone tackled this problem before? Does the manifold come off without too much trouble? Can anyone give me knowledgeable advice? I simply cannot believe the way this car has been engineered for service. It is worse than any American car that I have ever worked on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the sake of those who might someday face this same problem, let me give you the update on this situation. I got the manifold off the engine and heli-coiled the damaged o2 sensor hole. To get the manifold off, you must remove the two cowl pieces. This gives you access to the heat shield. Heat shield needs to be removed but there is no room to totally remove it from the engine bay. Set it aside and take off the manifold. The new O2 sensor, cleared all of my DTCs. I now have a beetle that runs very will with no codes! Very happy with the little car at this point until that CEL comes on again! LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts