NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my wife's driver side driveaxle. While attempting to remove the 30MM nut off of the outboard side of the axle, I sheared the rotor screw. I was able to get the screw to come out while an extractor set.

My question is, can I reinstall the rim/tire without a new screw? It looks like the screw lines the rotor and hub up with no other reason for install. I understand things are installed for a reason. The screws are .99 cents at ecs tuning but I don't have time to wait for shipping. I leave for business this coming week and would rather not leave my wife without her Beetle for 3 weeks. It would only be a temporary solution until I get home and the part comes in. I tried the local auto parts store and couldn't find an exact match. Is there any other reason that screw is in place?

Need advice....

Stephen

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
You don't need the screw. It is only there to hold the rotor in place on the manufacturing line. Up here, they seize in place and we drill the heads off them.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
X2, The screw wouldn't impair safety. I had a 2004 Audi TT where I broke off the screw when I changed the rotor and I never did replace it. All it does is line up the rotor with the holes in the wheel hub. You can always replace it later if you feel the need but it is perfectly fine to put the wheel on without that screw.

·
Registered
867 Posts
It's only there for safety at the VW factory. It keeps the rotor from falling on someone when the car is hoisted around the factory.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
yup.

it does make it harder to line up the wheel holes with the hub holes and bolt it all together, but it gets easier with experience.

and when the wheel gets bolted back on, it will hold the rotor in place and the screw doesn't do much help then.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Of course, if VW used lugs instead of those stupid bolts, it wouldn't be hard to line up the rotor with the hub and wheel after removing the screw...

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Or, a bolt from Lowes for 25 cents. lol
Yep found these at Home Depot as well. You just need a 14 x 1.5mm machine screw with the taper head.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 10 of 10 Posts