VW Beetle Forum banner

Front speaker removal?

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  [lot] 
#1 · (Edited)
Nice forum!

I've seen an earlier thread concerning removal of rear speakers, however, I'm interested in how to access the front speakers. My NB is new to me so I'm not sure where to begin tugging.

Thanks,

Chuck

#3 ·
noR said:
You'll probably have to drill out the 'plastic rivet' that holds the speaker to the door. Redo it w/a hot-glue gun, or screw it in this time.
Yeah-you-right!

Also make sure you check the clearance of the window to speaker magnet...usually aftermarket speakers will have larger magnets and won't fit properly. We replaced a set and had to add about 3/4" spacer (fashioned out of MDF) on some Infinitys I helped install. Other wise your window will not roll down all the way or worse, will break.

#10 ·
marvins_dad said:
Yeah-you-right!

Also make sure you check the clearance of the window to speaker magnet...usually aftermarket speakers will have larger magnets and won't fit properly. We replaced a set and had to add about 3/4" spacer (fashioned out of MDF) on some Infinitys I helped install. Other wise your window will not roll down all the way or worse, will break.
Also make sure the spacer and/or aftermarket speaker will clear the fule and trunk switches in the driver's door.

#12 ·
For rear speaker removal I didn't have to remove the upper portion of the back seat. The bottom part pulls right out, it's really just sort of wedged in there. By just folding the top of the back seat down I was able to pull out the back panels. As the PDF's show, they are pretty much clipped in place as well. They seemed to snap out after some wiggling and tugging.

I've been working on the back speakers for the last couple of weekends. Got a bum pair of Infinity 6.5" from some guy on eBay. Shame on me. Anyway, ordered some Alpines, put in a bit of dynamat and it is sounding pretty good. I haven't gotten those panels back in yet, though! :eek:

-Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.