VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. Over the coarse of some time, my car has developed a loud noise in what appears to be in the front right wheel area. I assumed it was something with my tire(s). :confused:
Finally took it to a mechanic and they said that it was the wheel itself that was making the noise, the struts/shocks went were bad, which lead to the tires going bad.
I was told I could replace the tires if I really wanted the noise to stop, but that the bad struts/shocks would cause them to wear more quickly.
I thought I'd try this theory and I put my spare on to see if the noise would still be there or not, and it was. Which leads me to his theory being false obviously.

TLDR
Would bad struts/shocks themselves cause a noise like this to happen? It's very apparent at higher speeds, even more so when I turn the wheel to the right. It's a very loud, almost wobbling type sound, not really too sure how to describe it, like a reverberating almost, not a grinding type noise at all.

I have a 2003 VW Beetle GLS hatchback 2.0

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just replaced the whole front end of my daughters 02 because everything was a mess after 122k miles. It drives like a new car now.
The biggest "wow" factor was the lower control arm on one side.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
bearings

If the car already has high mileage you might as well replace both front bearings. Not a bad job you'll have to remove the whole steering knuckle and take it to a machine shop so they can press/cut out the old bearings and press the new ones in.
I think they only charge me $20-25 per side. If you plan to keep the car for a while then If I were you to avoid having to come back and re-doing alignment just replace all the troublesome suspension parts at once; control arms, ball joints, tie-rod ends, swaybar bushings, bearings, struts.

·
Herbie's Nurse Dude
26 Posts
Do not buy China made control arm sets on eBay. I did and really regret it!!! Replaced after 9 months! Go for Moog brand and you will not be disappointed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts