VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
That side is much harder to remove because the axle does rest on the subframe. I remove the three bolts from the ball joint, then you can pull the ball joint from the lower control arm and move the entire knuckle out of the way. Some remove the top bolt of the ball joint instead of the bottom three, whatever one you choose gives the same results.

Are you using a strut spreader? Using one allows you to take the strut from the knuckle with your bare hands instead of using a hammer and pounding on the knuckle.

Golf/Jetta/Beetle from those years are all the same.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I don’t think the compressor will gain you much clearance, but you might be able to get it. I did put my weight on the lower control arm once and got the strut out but I think I still had to loosen the ball joint upon reassembly. If you take the top nut of the ball joint off, you will not need to get an alignment. The secret is just keep turning the nut when it tops out against the cv joint, the continued turning will force the ball joint apart.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Rear shocks are easy. Two upper bolts and one bottom, take all 3 out and step on the lower spring perch with your foot, the lower part of the shock will come back up out of the bracket through which it fell after the bolts were removed, pushing down with your foot gives it clearance for that bracket.

Congratulations on doing the fronts. A job well done!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts