VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorting out a few issues with my new to me 2004 GLS 1.8LT, 5 speed convertible. It only has 72K miles on it. I have done the timing belt service. I have the replacement cooling fan assembly ready to install in a day or so when I get some time. The final issue is worn bushings in the lower control arms of the front end. In looking on Ebay & Amazon, there are all sorts of kits ranging from $45 to $200. I'm sure the adage "You get what you pay for" applies. I'd like to know which brands to stay away from and which brands should I look for. OEM quality isn't so great if they only last 72K miles but I'd hate to get something inferior to that. It appears that the prior owner lived on a dirt road from all the dirt I washed out from under the car. What I am looking at are lower control arm assemblies with new bushings installed and with new lower ball joints. Is there something else I should be looking for in the kit? I plan to inspect this myself (it was discovered in pre-purchase inspection) when I get it up on jack stands to R&R the cooling fans. The shop claimed a shimmy at speed and found the bad bearings but I feel no shimmy at all, even at 60 MPH+.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts