VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am hoping some suspension experts are part of this forum. After my wife damaged the subframe on our 2000 beetle 2.0 5-speed by driving into one of those wonderful parking lot tree islands that was missing the tree, I replaced the subframe earlier this week. Now I have this horrific pop or bang from the front passenger side when the car changes speed or direction.

Seeing that the the inner cv boot on the passenger side driveaxle was torn and throwing grease, I changed that driveaxle and hoped that repair would fix the pop. Wrong. Thinking that the balljoint on the passenger side was the culprit, i replaced the balljoint today. Wrong again. I inspected the control arm bushings and they check out fine. Sway bar and end links appear to be solid based on a tug. I replaced the wheel bearing on the passenger side earlier this year, so I should be able to rule that part out. The passenger side wheel is solid when tugging at 6/12 and a 3/9 hand position. I doublechecked that the subframe bolts are tight. Brake caliper is bolted to the steering knuckle solidly. Strut appears to be solidly attached to the steering knuckle. Motor doesn't seem to swing back and forth due to bad mounts.

Please chime in with your ideas. Or else I may have to tape my iPhone to the undercarriage and take a video with the car in motion. Many thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

I spent all day double checking, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings and end links, control arm bushings, subframe bolts, steering knuckle, struts, etc. without curing that loud pop from the front end. Then I noticed that the passenger side wheel had a little freeplay and noticed that the nut on my balljoint needed further tightening. The only problem was that annoying nylon ring on the inner diameter of the nut, which makes the balljoint spin before the nut is fully torqued down. I put the jack under the balljoint and was able to further tighten the nut but not as much as I would like.

However, the goods news is that horrific bang/pop was cured with that last step. If the noise returns, I will have to pull the driveaxle again and use the torx fitting on the balljoint to tighten the nut further. Happy wrenching!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts