VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most of you on this forum have dealt or will deal with a problem with the front wheel bearing and hub and/or steering knuckle. In my case, I noticed that the balljoint nut on the right front knuckle would not stay torqued, which resulted in a lot of freeplay at the balljoint. I had replaced that balljoint and the wheel bearing a few times before realizing that the balljoint hole on the knuckle was growing too large from the balljoint being loose over time.

So, I ordered a new knuckle, wheel bearing, wheel hub, and balljoint and installed all of those parts last week. With the first test drive of my beetle, I noticed that the steering slop was gone. The car no longer wandered with every uneven section of pavement. The car no longer pulled to the driver's side when braking. However, the ABS light came on immediately, and the code was right front abs sensor, which is the same wheel I had worked on. Hooking up my vag.com, I noticed that the right front abs sensor would show wheel speed only after hitting approximately 60 km/hr. Upon closer inspection, I could see that the gap between the abs wheel sensor and the tone ring is too large. I pulled the entire knuckle to determine which aftermarket component is the problem. My best conclusion is a problem with the aftermarket wheel hub/bearing kit. The wheel hub is fully pressed into the knuckle, but still needs to be pressed in another 1/8 inch to reduce the gap between the abs wheel sensor and the tone ring. The abs sensor gap on the driver's side is minimal, as it is supposed to be. I put my old, worn out knuckle and wheel hub back on the car, and I don't get any abs code, and my vag.com shows wheel speed on the front right at all speeds.

My question is are there certain front wheel hubs that can be fully seated only onto certain wheel bearings? Anybody experienced my problem? I can't be the only one who has seen this problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2000 vw beetle 2.0 GLS with the AEG motor. I would think that all nb's share the same wheel hub/bearing. I will look up the link to confirm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts