NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Daizy's Mom
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 1.8 Liter Turbo. 3 weeks ago, took Daizy in for an oil change and of course the check engine light came on the night before she went in. Got oil changed, they recommended new spark plugs, oxygen sensor and cleaning the mass air filter, and replacing the regular air filter. They also found an oil leak, but weren't sure where it was coming from.

Last week returned to dealership and they did all the above mentioned items and found the leak in the valve cover gasket. Didn't repair the oil leak (They didn't call to let me know where the leak was or I would have approved the repair since it was already apart anyway.)

So, last night I was driving around and the check engine light came on again. I am not amused.

Set up an appointment for Monday, they are thinking it could be the mass air filter needs to be replaced. Anyone have an estimate on how much that is to fix at a dealership? I have no mechanical ability what so ever, so me doing it is not an option. :(

Thanks,
Terri

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
Its hard to know what is going on with the CEL; if you get the car scanned for free at your local parts store (e.g. O'Rielly's, Autozone etc.), post what the trouble codes are (that they find on the scanner) and we may be able to help you diagnose the problem. Knowing the total cost for the repair from a dealer; is hard to know, as the amount of labor hours, diagnosis time, hooking up to a vw computer and total parts cost at this point are unknown. Just to give you an idea; a good price for a MAF from 1stvwparts.com (a vw dealer that sells parts online) is $162.16 and then add whatever the labor rates per hour are, every area/dealer tends to be a little different. I would call and talk to the service manager to get a better idea of what they estimate you are dealing with; most places won't know until they actually work on the car and diagnose what is going on, you might have them call you with a total cost.. once they diagnose the problem. As time goes on; you might consider finding a independent shop that specializes in VW's; you can save money and just have a more sane experience dealing with a more humane repair process and overall cost. Just realize; that a dealer is going to be the most expensive place to have your VW worked on, they have high overhead costs and they are authorized through VW.. all which drives the prices up for repairs. Good luck and keep us posted with the progress and resolution of the repair.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
They are called Stealers for a reason. Get your codes read, even Aamco Transmission will do it for free. The post the code info back here for review and comment. Suggest you invest less than$50 for your own code reader, see Amazon and search VAG-405.

Also be ready for some expensive maintenance costs. Find a decent VW indy to do your work, Stealer will fleece your wallet.

·
Daizy's Mom
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Stealership says its a rear oxygen sensor. They won't know if the MAF is bad until after they replace this second oxygen sensor.

Would it be worth just replacing the MAF at the same time?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Forget the dealer. Buy your own tool or get the code(s) read and post tne exact code(s) back for review. There was a problem with the ECU program that would trigger false codes on some cars.

I would clear code(s) and drive car and see if and when the CEL comes on again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts