NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I just recently purchased a 99vw bug and love it what little bit I have got to drive it. unfortunately, it shuts down while driving and leaves me sitting along the road with no warning. I wait about 5 minutes or so and she starts back up and takes off only to repeat the problem again. can anyone help me?:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
A friend had something similar happen, it ended up being bad gas. I've also had something similar happen, once it was a bad battery, the next time was alternator. I'm sure it could be a number of things, but these are just a few I've dealt with.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
I think I would start with getting the car scanned for trouble codes; then post up the codes and we will see if we can help you figure out the problem. Lately, allot of people have had their fuel pumps failing and also their speed sensors intermittently fail as well. Hopefully, some trouble codes will help point you in the right direction (most auto parts stores will scan your car for free).

You can look up trouble codes here:

Ross Tech Wiki:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

·
Registered
120 Posts
Scan for codes. I would really buy the vw maxscan on amazon if you plan to have your bug for awhile and are a basic mechanic. I would also drain your gas and then try replacing your fuel filter. My bug would randomly die last winter and I replaced the crank position sensor and it didn't fix it. So the fuel filter was my problem.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Cam or crank sensor would be my guess.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
without codes its hard to say. its like calling the doctor and saying my stomach hurts.

glad ur in a beetle, we all are very experienced in helping out with mechanical problems. got a few vw techs (im an x-vw tech) and a lot of other smart folks (billymade) who can help out. but we need more info first. autozone is good at pulling codes.

-jd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we replaced the coil pack. didn't fix problem. the fuel filter was changed about 1 week before the problem started. next, we are gonna try the crank sensor. hard to check the problem when the check engine light doesn't come on. :(

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
we replaced the coil pack. didn't fix problem. the fuel filter was changed about 1 week before the problem started. next, we are gonna try the crank sensor. hard to check the problem when the check engine light doesn't come on. :(
A lot of times if it's fuel related, it won't throw a code. When you say it shuts down, like it loses power and dies? Or just loses everything?

If you replaced the fuel filter a week prior to this, perhaps the increased flow finally sped up the fuel pump dying? At any rate, I would definitely scan it before throwing any more parts at it. If you have anyone near you with vag com, you can check the fuel trims. Mine would randomly sputter and die, and start up 5 minutes later. The fuel trims indicated I was running lean, but not lean enough to throw a code. A new fuel pump fixed the issue completely. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, we replaced the crank shaft sensor and so far so good!! only took about 10 minutes total to replace, and didn't have to take no other parts off! :) hopefully all will be ok now! thanks for all the input!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts