VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening.
The fuel door will not open and here is no noise. I pulled the switches and manually mad contact still no noise from the actuator. Is there a way to test the actuator or should I just buy a new one?
Thanks
Pam

·
Registered
120 Posts
The mk4 jetta actuator is the same part you just have to switch the end where the cable attaches. I didn't have luck in the junk yards finding beetle parts but lots of jettas. It was cheap 2

·
Registered
950 Posts
The fuse to check is #38, should be 15 amps. Here is a DIY on the fuel door cable:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/2269-how-replace-your-fuel-door-cable.html

The actuator is under the rear trim on the right side. You could remove it and test it with a 12 volt battery. The cables are a very common problem. They tend to get kinked and then won't release the fuel flap.
With a bad cable you'd still hear the actuator firing, it just wouldn't open the fuel door. With my bug the door opened but never closed again until I replaced the cable. My bad cable was still able to release it just couldn't reset to close the door.

For the OP, if you want to get your fuel door open for now until you fix the issue, you can open the trunk, remove the panel for the passenger side turn signal light and pull on the cable directly. Should work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts