NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just removed the entire cable assembly using this thread and http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/2269-how-replace-your-fuel-door-cable.html as a guide. As was stated previous, no need to remove the tire or wheel well cover. Also no need to remove the fuel filler well assembly if you just want access to the plunger assembly. Access can be attained by simply removing the tail light and once removed you can easily place the plunger into the hole via access from the tail light cavity. I found my cable did not slide at all within the plastic jacket so with pliers I grabbed the metal cable and worked it back and forth within the jacket. I also used a bit of powdered graphite on each end trying to work as much in as possible. Once it slid back and forth relatively freely I hooked it back up and I've got a working fuel release. Not sure how long it will last but at least now I know I can easily replace the cable if need be.
You are right; I never thought of removing the tail light! :banghead: I will post some additional photos with the tail light removed.

Thanks for the additional link, for those who choose to replace the entire cable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ha ha, and no I'm not laughing at you but rather with you. We all do things at some point in our life that could have been done with so much less effort. But thanks again for the write-up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry for an old bump but does anyone know the specs of the screw, like pitch and length? GF's beetle ran into this problem last night and i noticed the screw is missing.
Clarification, the single screw under the fuel door that holds it in place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry for an old bump but does anyone know the specs of the screw, like pitch and length? GF's beetle ran into this problem last night and i noticed the screw is missing.
Clarification, the single screw under the fuel door that holds it in place.
It's a typical VW torx, can't say for sure what size it is without removing it from the car but it's probably not something you'll find at a hardware store. I can try and check for you this weekend.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's a typical VW torx, can't say for sure what size it is without removing it from the car but it's probably not something you'll find at a hardware store. I can try and check for you this weekend.
Here - the part # is N90775001

http://vwpartsdepartment.com/parts/2000/Volkswagen/Beetle/GL/index.cfm?action=partDetail&section=BODY HARDWARE&group=QUARTER PANEL&subgroup=QUARTER PANEL & COMPONENTS&component=Fuel door screw&partnumber=N90775001&vehicleid=90449&siteid=215190

Steal one from the wheel or belly pan liners if you're desperate.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts