NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks, I'm new to this forum and I am working on rescuing a 2008 VW Vert and have run across an issue that the dealer can't help me with. I am replacing the fuel pump and since its such a pain in the keester, I decided to change out the fuel filter at the same time. It took me forever to locate the little bugger, but it is inside the tank (metal tank) and when I was able to get it out, that was an ordeal, there is a rubber sleeve that goes between the filter and the hose clamp that has deteriorated. The dealer couldn't find the filter at first, then when I kept insisting where it was located, brought it in for a parts part inspection, they did find it but didn't know anything about the rubber sleeve.

Anyone know where I can get one? Is it still a required part for this year vehicle? I ordered the filter and hopefully it will come with the sleeve, but the dealer wasn't very optimistic.

Any advice and help is most appreciated!

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Can you post a photo; of the part and filter? Which part number, was the fuel pump and the fuel filter; that you ended up replacing?

Is it similar, to the #28; shown, in this exploded view here?

The filter and fuel pressure regulator; seem to be integrated together on this assembly, probably a good idea, to replace the fuel pressure regulator, at the same time.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
I'm having a hard time; finding the rubber sleeve by itself but I do see some, by themselves for fuel pumps, etc.

As long as it is secured correctly with the metal clamp; it maybe, something that can be left off and I think, it would probably be fine but one of the fuel pump sleeves, linked above, might work as well? I can see, where; it maybe possible, that sound could be transferred from the pump, fuel pulsations, into the filter/fuel regulator to the fuel tank and maybe, the rubber, was installed, to reduce that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply, yes, that is the fuel filter/regulator I ordered, it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, I will let you know if it matches the one I removed AND if it comes with the rubber sleeve. If it doesn't the links you sent seem to be what is needed. I found one that says its designed for in tank use, so hopefully that will solve my dilemma. More soon as pats arrive! Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Filter finally came in, No rubber sleeve! UGH
I'll do some more researching see what I can find to make it work.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is exactly what I found in my search, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
I will let you know if it works, once I get it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's what I have found about trying to replace the fuel filter and pump in my 2008 beetle vert.

1. Filter is located inside gas tan, dealer wasn't aware of this and had a difficult time locating the correct filter.
2. Different types of pumps are available, depending on the material of gas tank. It's important to know if tank is plastic or metal, mine was metal, so locating the correct pump wasn't easy.
3. Need a rubber sleeve around filter, never did locate where to by one that fits, luckily I have a mechanic friend who keeps an assortment of these for just this type of situation. I did order one (Wasbro brand) but when it arrived 2 weeks later, it was too small. If yours can be salvaged , I recommend using it, mine was too deteriorated to remove.
4. Also need to replace the metal gasket around access hole below rear seat.
5. Once all parts arrived, it wasn't a terribly difficult repair, just very cramped inside the tank.

Dealer couldn't accurately quote this repair as they weren't sure where to get the parts or how much labor would be involved. Estimate of over $70.

There is a VERY helpful video on a different thread within this forum about how to do this, I highly recommend it for others who are facing this issue.

Cost breakdown:
Pump and gasket $92.15 including shipping (Rock Auto)
Fuel Filter $38.60 (local VW dealer) Went this route as it was the only one I could find that had the electrode connector.
Rubber insulator sleeve $8.70 (eBay) Only similar item I could find on internet, dealer doesn't know where to get these and they don't even have them listed. Ended up not using it, but exchanged it with my mechanic friend who had one that fit perfectly.

Total expense: $139.75

Hope this info helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the link to the other thread on this forum where the 3 part video on how to do this can be found.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts