NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone tell me where the fuel filter is located on a 2001 1.8 turbo and what you need to do to replace? Thanks

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
it is underneath the car on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel. If you look under the car right behind the seam for the door, you will find it tucked up behind the rocker panel. It really isn't a hard swap, just make sure you remove the fuel lines correctly or you will be paying big money to replace some fuel lines.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
It really isn't a hard swap. If you know what you're doing, it's probably a two minute job. But it is a bit tricky to remove the fuel lines. You just squeeze the connectors to release the lines. But it's kinda hard to reach your hands up there and squeeze in the proper area. I think even with the difficulty to reach it, it only took me 10-15 minutes to change.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Thanks guys. He said it looked pretty bad. Glad he got a new one. He also drained all the gas and is right now getting fresh gas from the station. I was loosing umph at about 3000 rpms. Hopefully it was just bad gas. I didn't get any lights or anything.It just sat in the garage for a month. We had to put a new battery in him but he ran great until I got gas. Then no umph again.Hopefully it's not a relay(not too bad) or God forbid it's a fuel pump.Sorry Funky for taking over this thread. I won't do it again. I hope your problem is solved too!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem! Hope the fuel works for you. Is there a cover over the fuel filter that needs to be removed or is it open to view once you stick your head under there?

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Well that wasn't it:( .I don't know what else to do. I think i have to take it to the stealer and pay $130 to have them tell me what it is.:( Thanks anyways guys.:crying:

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
some random things to look at. it could be the MAF, and it could be your intake. Make sure there is nothing clogging the intake and the filter is clean. The motor could pull fine until it gets a lot of vacuum (3k rpm's ) and then it can't get enough air to run right.

just a thought.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just changed mine recently. I tryed for like 10 min to get the locks to disconnect the filter. I was cussing german engineering when I learned that you just push gently on the flat part of the locks to release it! and I'm a mechanic! How sad is that? I almost ruined my lines using a pick to get thoes pesky locks out of there! (there's nothing to remove btw.) I think I've been working on too many ferds. GOSH!!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Anaconda said:
When is about the best time to change your fuel filter?
I changed mine at 40k. My car started stalling for no reason, so someone suggested I changed the fuel filter. It was pretty dirty at that point. I believe a new filter is less than $10.00? So no huge cost involved to prohibit you from doing it more often than 100k.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts