NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
i am strorg
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning when I started my 2002 NB, the fuel gauge swung up and down a few times, down to 1/4 and back up above 1/2. It finally settled down at what appeared to be an accurate reading. I suspect a low battery may be the cause, as I was playing the stereo a few days ago while grinding 75 year's worth of paint from the front door of the house. The car then sat in the driveway until this morning.

It seems fine now after my 40 mile commute, but I wonder if is an indication of a pending problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks...Tom

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Oh man.. not you too :/

Seems that the 2002s have clusters with malfunctioning fuel gauges. Not all, but some. I have a 02, and I'm PRAYING I never have to have the cluster replaced. The old forums had some threads of 2002 owners being stranded with a quarter tank of gas (but there really was nothing in the tank).

I'd be safe: fill up based on trip miles and not the gauge. Also, check the gauge over the next month, if it seems to be consistantly off... take it to a dealer or VW mechanic for a diag and see if it needs to be replaced.

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
It may be your fuel pump and sender.

My car is a 2000 and I noticed that during my commute to work I would gain and lose indicated fuel by as much as 1/4 of a tank. My dealer found it to be the sender/pump combo. They quoted me way too much money so I hunted down the correct pump and changed it myself. It's a pretty easy job, so if you're mechanically inclined you can handle it.

Long story short, It's been fine since.

FYI: the pump is located under your rear seat. Pull up the rear seat like you're going to lay it down and you'll see a flap. That flap covers a plate. Pull the plate and there's your pump.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just did a search and found nothing related to what mine's doing...

My fuel gauge needle was just north of full, about 60 miles on the tank. Stopped at a store, shut off the engine without taking the key out and the radio shut off then came back on (odd), I pulled the key, locked and went in.

Started up and when the needle moved to its full position kept going to the 6 o'clock position. Parked at my next stop, shut off and now the gauge returns to one dot before 1/4 tank, start up and near full was again 6 o'clock. I may try what NYBugman said about the sender.

Anyone else?

Later,

·
Registered
944 Posts
Fuel Gauge

Same thing happened to me after a trip to the dealer. They had disconnected the battery to replace the seatbelt clip. I noticed it after driving away and brought it back to the dealer. One of the techs looked at it and couldn't figure what it was but it would be a cool $90 to diagnose it. I told them I'd diagnose it with my Vag-Com and they said, "What's that?" Makes you wonder:rolleyes:

After I cycled the ignition a couple of times it corrected itself.

·
Peace,joy, and Bugs
12 Posts
I concur with the suggestion to fuel up based on miles. That's what I've been doing for some time now. I also have a 2002 and the gauge needle seems like it would move even if my car only inched forward one foot! I used to get irked, but I'm used to it now, and just make sure to fill up by a certain mileage range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts