NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bug 3 weeks ago I love it so much its a 1.6 petrol 2001, but am having trouble with my fuel gauge since I got it. I'm not sure how long it has this problem because the previous owner never mentioned it, I only noticed in the following days how the fuel needle went from half full to 3/4 full without me putting petrol in it and then when I did fill her up the needle moved all the way back to only 1/4 full. Since then it has been haywire sometimes it reads 1 and a half tanks full or even below the empty mark when it should be near full! I brought it to the mechanic who told me it would more than likely be the fuel sender that was the problem. Got it replaced the other day and at first I was delighted it seemed to be working properly until I turned the engine off and the needle stopped at the half way mark instead of back at the empty position. I restarted the engine then a few times and its back to its crazy random positions. I now don't know what the problem is :( Has this happened anyone else or has anyone any idea of how I could fix this problem?
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I bought my bug 3 weeks ago I love it so much its a 1.6 petrol 2001, but am having trouble with my fuel gauge since I got it. I'm not sure how long it has this problem because the previous owner never mentioned it, I only noticed in the following days how the fuel needle went from half full to 3/4 full without me putting petrol in it and then when I did fill her up the needle moved all the way back to only 1/4 full. Since then it has been haywire sometimes it reads 1 and a half tanks full or even below the empty mark when it should be near full! I brought it to the mechanic who told me it would more than likely be the fuel sender that was the problem. Got it replaced the other day and at first I was delighted it seemed to be working properly until I turned the engine off and the needle stopped at the half way mark instead of back at the empty position. I restarted the engine then a few times and its back to its crazy random positions. I now don't know what the problem is :( Has this happened anyone else or has anyone any idea of how I could fix this problem?
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help
You need to find someone who can do what is called output test mode with VCDS or a dealer scan tool. This will test the gauge to make sure the signal is correct. I think this model had this capability. Also some of the models allowed for adjustment of the needle, but I can't recall if the beetle did.

I would guess a bad cluster, but that is just a guess. For the cost it will need some definite diagnosis.

Hope this is helpful.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
sometimes it reads 1 and a half tanks full or even below the empty mark

the needle stopped at the half way mark instead of back at the empty position
These facts would indicate that the problem is in the dashboard. The needle of the gauge should never behave this way for any kind of electrical input.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
My guess is that the gauge needle has become detached from (or only loosely attached to) the mechanism that moves it.
Ok, I thought you meant the cluster. ;)

If you can get someone to do the output test mode it will run the needle through an empty to full cycle and you will know if it is a needle or not, although I think that could give a false reading if it is an electrical problem and not a mechanical (needle) problem.

Also if your model has immobilizer you may need to go to the dealer because they will need to have all the keys to code it if they have to replace the cluster. Also they will put the old mileage reading in the new cluster.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all the help! I will have to look into finding someone that can do the output test mode because the mechanic I went to didn't really suggest trying anything other than change the cluster and from what I've heard that can get very expensive:( so hoping to try any other option first..

If the gauge needle has become detached or loose would that still mean i'd need a new cluster or would that be a smaller problem? It sounds to me like it could be something like that cause when the needle goes past the full or empty it looks kind of like its just hanging there! But then at other times it can be around half full and look like a normal working needle!?:confused:

Will keep ye updated:)

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Thanks guys for all the help! I will have to look into finding someone that can do the output test mode because the mechanic I went to didn't really suggest trying anything other than change the cluster and from what I've heard that can get very expensive:( so hoping to try any other option first..

If the gauge needle has become detached or loose would that still mean i'd need a new cluster or would that be a smaller problem? It sounds to me like it could be something like that cause when the needle goes past the full or empty it looks kind of like its just hanging there! But then at other times it can be around half full and look like a normal working needle!?:confused:

Will keep ye updated:)
If it looks loose then you may want to look up marvins_dad since he has a DIY for cluster face replacement. Most shops will just say replace it. It is just so expensive it would be nice to know that is the only option before you do it.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried pushing in the needle did no good... Then the other day I was driving to town and my speedometer and rev clock stopped working completly and just stayed at zero!!:(:( I stopped and turned the engine on and off a few times and they started working again but cant trust them now. Brought her to the garage yesterday and they are 99% sure I need a whole new cluster whick is just what I was thinking too :( They said for me to check around and that they will too for a second hand cluster that it would be much cheaper than one from the dealership so hopefully I can find one!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The anti-theft device known as the immobilizer is built into the instrument cluster. Whoever replaces the cluster will need to use a VW-specific scan tool to code the new (or used) cluster to the ECU. You need to have someone familiar with VWs do this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys got her finally sorted, got my 2nd hand clock and vw to programe it into my car and its working perfectly now!:)When I was getting my clock I also picked up a cupholder which I had been missing LOL! My baby is now complete and I love her more than ever!:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts