NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nancyannenj
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my '04 New Beetle Convertible warms up, the car jerks to a stop when applying the brake. It also jerks when I step on the gas. Once it's moving, it runs fine. The check engine light is on as is the deployed airbag light. I put gas filter cleaner in the tank, use premium gas (shell) but it still hesitates and jerks. When the car is cold I don't have a problem with it. Was going to put two bottles of fuel injector cleaner in the tank.....any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You've got two threads going here, addressing the same issues, with the airbag light situation added to this one. Go get the codes read, write them down accurately and come back here and post them up.

No fuel injector cleaner unless it's a OEM VW part number. Actually not good to use most additives. A fuel stabilizer if the car is going to sit for extended period of time, but that's it.

Below is a capture from YOUR Owner's Manual regarding an active airbag light in your insrtument cluster (assume this is what your talking about and not the one in the center of the dash). It does not indicate airbag deployment.

We're glad to help you, that's the main purpose of the forum, but need you to give us some help. Get the codes!

Also need to know what engine is in your car, 1.8L turbo or 2.0L

MORAV

Attachments

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Fuel cleaners and additives are not recommended for Beetles, I would not use anymore. If you want to keep your fuel system clean only use 93 Octane gas, this is what I do.

Now, if your NB runs as expected when cold, but worse after it warms up; if it were me I would check all my vacuum hoses and PCV hoses to see if any need to be replaced.

If you could get is scanned and post the codes that would be really helpful.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I am going out on a limb here, is it a automatic.
And if it is, is it getting close to 100k?

·
Nancyannenj
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about the double post. New on this site and it's taking me a while to figure it out. I did follow your suggestion and took it to AutoZone to get the code. There was only one. It's the catalytic converter. The guy that did the test said he's not sure that would be causing the problem. Also, the car has 60,000 miles. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Sorry about the double post. New on this site and it's taking me a while to figure it out. I did follow your suggestion and took it to AutoZone to get the code. There was only one. It's the catalytic converter. The guy that did the test said he's not sure that would be causing the problem. Also, the car has 60,000 miles. I appreciate the help.
What was the actual code? Autozone OBDII scanners are pretty general. It could also be the O2 sensor prior to the cat that could throw that code. We still don't know your type of engine or if it is a manual or automatic.
Either way, do check all your vacuum hoses they do get brittle over time and fail.
Have you pulled your spark plugs yet to see what they look like? Good Luck in finding your issue.

·
Nancyannenj
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
diagnosis made......Ugh

Ok. Check engine is the Cat Converter which is under a VW extended warranty. That's the good news. Bad news? I have to replace the Valve Body which was under an extended warranty......expired November 27th! Estimated cost of repair? $1500. I am devastated to say the least. My car will be parked in my driveway for a long while. I'm disabled and devastated by this news. Thank you everyone for your help and input.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Excellent resolve on the Cat! So sorry about the warranty thing on the valve body, has happened to so many. Not just the bad valve body, but missing the extended warranty time frame. I'm sure there are some good Independent VW shops around you're area. Might even suggest you talk to a couple Aamco franchisees. Don't laugh, I have had excellent luck with Aamco around the country.

Put up a thread. Something like "HELP - Independent VW Shop referral needed in the (your City) NJ area!" and then explain what it is you're looking to have done in the body of the post.. Bet you get a hit in short order.

MORAV

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Ok. Check engine is the Cat Converter which is under a VW extended warranty. That's the good news. Bad news? I have to replace the Valve Body which was under an extended warranty......expired November 27th! Estimated cost of repair? $1500. I am devastated to say the least. My car will be parked in my driveway for a long while. I'm disabled and devastated by this news. Thank you everyone for your help and input.
That's outrageous! What is the part number of your transmission? I am sure it is a 6 speed automatic but I need a part number to look up rebuilt valve bodies which will be a lot cheaper than a brand new one and they can be easily installed. I have installed numerous valve bodies in Mustangs and Chevy's I can't imagine that a Beetle would be much different. About a 2 hour job at most. $1500 bucks they are totally NUTS!!!

Okay, I think you have a 09G Transmission and you can get a Valve body here for $659.00 Plus refundable core charge. Put it in yourself or find a shop that may charge you a couple of hundred bucks to put it in. Either way it will be cheaper than the Stealership charges. http://revmaxconverters.com/valve-bodies/oem-replacement

Here you can get either a "Good Used One" for $395.00 or a rebuilt one for $200.00 more. I would stay away from used but rebuilt would be okay since most of the time they use upgraded parts that will last longer than the original. I searched the web and found numerous complaints about the 09G Automatic transmission in the Volkswagons. Very poor longevity and tons of breakdowns. I know one thing I will never buy a VW with an Automatic transmission. http://800700tran.com/prod.itml/icOid/518

·
Nancyannenj
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: After contacting the local consumer affairs office, VW offered to replace the valve body free of charge. Yay. I purchased the car used back in April and it seems the previous owner did not love her car as I do! There was a lot of under-casrriage damage and a few other problems but the local VW dealer's service department worked with me and is repairing everything. They promise me my car will run like new! I want to thank everyone for their help and advice and to let you know I have restored faith in VW!!!!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Congrats on the Great Outcome! You must've been very persuasive with VW. They don't just give free Valve bodies and service to just anyone ;)

GOOD JOB! :bigthumb::bigthumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts