NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My daughter has a '98 Beetle. We just changed out the crankshaft position sensor, the check engine light came back on with a code for misfires. Two of the plugs looked really bad and one of the wires just fell apart. So we changed the plugs and wires. The check engine light came back on today with a code of fuel injectors. Could it be dirty? I'm wondering, should we try a cleaner before spending the $400 or so to change them out? She is supposed to take it in tomorrow morning, and we are 2 hours apart, she's at college, so I can't look at it. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
What is/are the exact code(s) that is/are showing up?

I would also not jump to replacing the injectors with new ones if you could pull the current injectors and have them cleaned and tested. Depends on downtime options.

WitchHunter Performance - Injector Cleaning & Flow Testing Services is one such company that cleans and tests injectors.

Do not take have her take it to the dealer, they will charge WAY too much for a lot of headaches.

Techron is probably the easiest to find fuel additive that works well. Most all parts stores have it for around $8 a bottle. Just add a bottle per tank of fuel.

Misfires could also be coils or vacuum leaks as well.

Suggest you buy this and have it shipped to her, it will help everyone in the future. $47 and she should keep it in the car!

Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi. My daughter has a '98 Beetle. We just changed out the crankshaft position sensor, the check engine light came back on with a code for misfires. Two of the plugs looked really bad and one of the wires just fell apart. So we changed the plugs and wires. The check engine light came back on today with a code of fuel injectors. Could it be dirty? I'm wondering, should we try a cleaner before spending the $400 or so to change them out? She is supposed to take it in tomorrow morning, and we are 2 hours apart, she's at college, so I can't look at it. Any advice?
If you haven't changed out the Ignition coil on that 98 it is definitely time. Those things develope hairline fractures which cause all sorts of random misfires.

I believe you have an AEG engine code so a replacement coil should be under 100 bucks:

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Coil > ES#888 Ignition Coil - 032905106B

As suggested by jfoj do check for vacuum leaks. If those old rubber hoses haven't been replaced they will dry rot and leak and could also cause misfires.

As far as injectors go. You can try and put some fuel injector cleaner through the tank. The stuff I swear by is Seafoam. It is a very powerful solvent and upper cylinder lube. It will clean out your entire fuel system. I would put a bottle of Seafoam in the tank prior to getting gas the next time. Let it go through the system and see if that clears up the injector. Now, it won't magically heal a damaged or leaking injector (nothing will) but if they are dirty Seafoam will clean them up.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html

O'Riley's or Pep Boys have it on Sale for less than Advance or Autozone. Also Wally World (Walmart) and Meijers sell it for under 10 bucks. Sometimes you can find it as low as $7.99

Also when was the last time your timing belt and water pump service was performed? Very important on those cars and if hers is a 98 and it has never been done than she is sitting on a time bomb (literally).

Hope you get it all fixed up for her soon.

Keep us posted!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The check engine light came back on today with a code of fuel injectors.
What was the code? If it indicates an electrical problem with the injector, then the injector may have to be replaced. Also, you just changed the plugs. During this service the connectors for injectors 1 and 4 are often removed to allow access to the plugs. Any chance that the connectors were not seated properly after the plug service?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
seafoam

I would just run some seafoam through them injectors first and that might solve your problem. Good luck man

1 - 5 of 5 Posts