NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter owns a 2000 VWB with a 2.0 liter engine with 175,000 miles. Recently, the engine started chugging while going driving down the road. It runs fine, then will stop like it is out of gas, then start running just a quickly. I assumed it was an intermittent fuel pump, but after checking, the pump runs when the key is turned on. I have replaced the fuel filter, used fuel additive for possible bad gas, still with the same results. Help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My daughter owns a 2000 VWB with a 2.0 liter engine with 175,000 miles. Recently, the engine started chugging while going driving down the road. It runs fine, then will stop like it is out of gas, then start running just a quickly. I assumed it was an intermittent fuel pump, but after checking, the pump runs when the key is turned on. I have replaced the fuel filter, used fuel additive for possible bad gas, still with the same results. Help!
Did you ever figure out ur problem?

·
Registered
2000 2L 9C Beetle
23 Posts
I had similar recently - my 2000 cut out on me a couple of times - usually when I was in traffic, almost stopped but still rolling - being an auto I would have to quickly put it into neutral but it would start straight away and then I could keep driving - I never had any chugging or warning. I took it to my mechanic and he didn't find any codes so he thought it was the fuel pump. He replaced that (it was the original) and all was good for about 3-4 weeks and it did it to me again! Grrr. I took it back and he has now replaced the fuel pump relay. Fingers crossed this will be the solution.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It could still be the engine speed sensor. See the post in my link above. If the new sensor is not Bosch brand it could be intermittent even when it is brand new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts