NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my 04 Beetle 1.8 turbo gets warm it hesitates when I accelerate. I changed the fuel filter but now it’s broke down and won’t start. It try’s but won’t continue. When it’s cold it starts and drives fine.

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
Always start with a scan for trouble codes; post any you find. It sounds similar, to fuel pumps or engine crank/sped sensor; i have seen, that are in the process of dying.

Otherwise, the basics: check for ignition spark at the spark plugs; fuel pressure and/or spray some starter fluid in the intake, if it starts you might try using a fuel pressure test kit (see if it is spec). Compression, would be the last possibility; a failed timing belt, can bend valves, reduce compression and cause a no start condition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When my 04 Beetle 1.8 turbo gets warm it hesitates when I accelerate. I changed the fuel filter but now it’s broke down and won’t start. It try’s but won’t continue. When it’s cold it starts and drives fine.
Check your fuel pressure first, get a cheap Fuel Pressure gauge and put it inline off the Fuel Rail. My guess its the pump is the problem?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Sounds just like a problem i had before on my 03 car it wind up being the fuel pump relay. on a car that old i would replace both the fuel pump and the relay. I bought both off ebay just get a good quality brand no cheapo from china stuff. Replace yourself just do it on a slight humid day (no static electricity, very dangerous) when the fuel tank is low

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds just like a problem i had before on my 03 car it wind up being the fuel pump relay. on a car that old i would replace both the fuel pump and the relay. I bought both off ebay just get a good quality brand no cheapo from china stuff. Replace yourself just do it on a slight humid day (no static electricity, very dangerous) when the fuel tank is low
Yes most #53 Pump Relays play up quite a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts