VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
turbo s lightly modded
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I Was Looking Into Replacing The Fuel Lines On Top Of The Passenger Side Front Wheel well But I've Talked to two different mechanics that both told me that it's $700 to replace those hoses. Apparently they only come in a set with some other hoses. Has anyone else had to replace these and if so we're you able to find a better priced alternative? Thanks

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Why do you need to replace them? The only reason would be is if they are damaged, they don't wear out.

If I needed to change a damaged set, I'd buy used.

·
turbo s lightly modded
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you need to replace them? The only reason would be is if they are damaged, they don't wear out.

If I needed to change a damaged set, I'd buy used.
Mine are getting brittle and starting to show cracks in em. I had a mechanic point it out to me and because it's a fuel line I take it serious. I don't want any fires

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Are you sure its a fuel line? They don't typically wear out like that.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Hey, mine look the same way (I live in the desert of New Mexico) and I have been contemplating my options as well. You might go to your local VW dealer or call some of the online vw parts dealers: Volkswagen Parts 2Go | Genuine VW Parts | Up to 25% Off or VW Parts | Volkswagen Parts or goto the vw national parts estore Volkswagen National eStore and see what they would cost.
So far in my parts searches; I haven't been able to find them. Steel braided aftermarket fuel lines are always a option but they are not shape molded the same way as the originals, which may or may not matter to you. Many places will make you custom fuel lines; based on your stock ones or you can make them yourself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cus...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had good luck using 5/16 inch Gates Barricade FI hose for replacement. Be sure to get the fuel injected hose, which is rated for 225PSI; not the carburetor hose.

Barricade® Fuel Injection Hose (MPI) | Gates Corporation

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/GATY/27340/N0887.oap

Enough hose for both lines cost me less than $40 at O'Reilly's. The Gates hose is not shape formed, but my APH 1.8t engine has hose brackets that clamp and hold the hose in the correct position so that the routing looks almost identical to the OEM hoses. One wouldn't notice the difference unless the old hose is held right next to the new one.

A previous reply mentioned that those hoses normally don't deteriorate, and in my situation that turned out to be the case. The old hoses looked to be in terrible shape, with what appeared to be deep cracks in the bends, but after removing one of the hoses and inspecting it, the inside of the hose was actually in very good shape (and my car is 15 years old). The deep cracks were just surface cracks in the outer layer. It was actually kind of hard to remove the hose from the quick connect fitting because it still had good mechanical strength, and I had to carefully slit the hose to remove it from the quick connect fitting. After replacing one hose, I decided that I probably didn't need to replace them after all, so I held off on doing the other one. I will get to it when I have some time, but am no longer concerned about the old fuel hose breaking and starting a fire.

The toughest part of the replacement procedure was removing the quick connect fitting from the little black box, and after struggling for 10+ minutes, I was finally able to remove the connector by holding the pipe coming from the black box with a needlenose plier while pressing the release & pulling up on the connector.

My plan is to replace the evap hoses in the same area with some new Gates hose when I have the time. They also look old and ugly, but chances are that they are perfectly functional, so replacement would just be for cosmetics. The lack of shape forming will be more of an issue, and I anticipate that I will have to use some elbows / angles to replicate the shape of the OEM hoses.

Good luck.

Update: I checked my records, and it was actually about $29.50 for 6 feet of the fuel hose. The auto parts store guy cut the requested length off a big spool for me. That should be enough to do the second hose and most of the evap hoses.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Forgot to mention that the flat 3-pronged hose clamps are kind of tricky to remove because most pliers that I have couldn't grab onto the ends. I ended up using a large linesman's electrical pliers to remove them. There are specialized pliers designed especially for those clamps available.

·
turbo s lightly modded
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replys. After reading your reply I'm thinking I'm just gonna hold off. They're probably fine. The cracks didn't look super deep and it sounds like they're just superficial.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
$40

I had good luck using 5/16 inch Gates Barricade FI hose for replacement. Be sure to get the fuel injected hose, which is rated for 225PSI; not the carburetor hose.

Barricade® Fuel Injection Hose (MPI) | Gates Corporation

Enough hose for both lines cost me less than $40 at O'Reilly's. The Gates hose is not shape formed, but my APH 1.8t engine has hose brackets that clamp and hold the hose in the correct position so that the routing looks almost identical to the OEM hoses. One wouldn't notice the difference unless the old hose is held right next to the new one.

A previous reply mentioned that those hoses normally don't deteriorate, and in my situation that turned out to be the case. The old hoses looked to be in terrible shape, with what appeared to be deep cracks in the bends, but after removing one of the hoses and inspecting it, the inside of the hose was actually in very good shape (and my car is 15 years old). The deep cracks were just surface cracks in the outer layer. It was actually kind of hard to remove the hose from the quick connect fitting because it still had good mechanical strength, and I had to carefully slit the hose to remove it from the quick connect fitting. After replacing one hose, I decided that I probably didn't need to replace them after all, so I held off on doing the other one. I will get to it when I have some time, but am no longer concerned about the old fuel hose breaking and starting a fire.

The toughest part of the replacement procedure was removing the quick connect fitting from the little black box, and after struggling for 10+ minutes, I was finally able to remove the connector by holding the pipe coming from the black box with a needlenose plier while pressing the release & pulling up on the connector.

My plan is to replace the evap hoses in the same area with some new Gates hose when I have the time. They also look old and ugly, but chances are that they are perfectly functional, so replacement would just be for cosmetics. The lack of shape forming will be more of an issue, and I anticipate that I will have to use some elbows / angles to replicate the shape of the OEM hoses.

Good luck.
I would go this route, paying $40 bucks is a lot better than $700 bucks, no Brainer there.:p I would use permatex gasket sealant also on the end connections to make sure of no leaks. I think it's gasoline and oil safe and never get's hard, holds up to high temperatures also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I posted about this not too long ago in a recent thread relating the exact same hoses: http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/92754-secondary-air-pump-2.html#post1120785

Pretty much cost me 20$ to replace my fuel line hoses in the engine bay with braided steel hose that's rated for fuel lines. This is definitely a time where going aftermarket with some good hose is better than getting an OEM part replacement that will cost you a crazy amount of cash..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Does anyone know the millimeter size? 7mm or 7.5mm or neither. The $700 kind (can get them for $500) are molded. Obviously straight hoses will need extra lengths to make the "turns".

Used is always a good route I guess.

My lines are cracked on a well cared for car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts