NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
May try a 4 bar fpr in my 2003 l.8t-never changed one on a beetle-what is involved-it looks easy but thought i would get some advice.

when i hit the gas pedal real hard and turbo kicks in engine will cough or miss. Like it is starving for more fuel.

I have new plugs and forge dv -nb has been chipped by apr.

Probably before i do anything i need to contact apr and see if they set up chip program for 3 bar.

·
Everett Street in May
3,205 Posts
Well, before you go down that road, do everything that you can to open up the air flow. I mean, do you already have a completely unrestricted intake, new "TIP", new lower intercooler pipe, downpipe, high-flow CAT, and CAT-back exhaust??

I had the same problem years ago with my 1.8T, and it turned out to be a lack of air flow issue, and not a fuel supply issue.

I am still running the OEM turbo, CPU program and fuel bar set-up, and I am actually running a little rich on the mixture right now. So, until you chip the car and have a larger turbo unit (after all the above mentioned pipe work done), the OEM fuel management system should work just fine.

That has been my experience so far, but I hope that other's will post up their experiences as well.

Just remember the first rule of engine tuning. All an engine does is pump air. That's it. The more air volume that you can get an engine to pump, the more "power" it will develop.

Now, what you "attach" your engine too, and what it uses it for is a completely different conversation.

Best of luck, have fun and enjoy the journey of "more power"..:bigthumb:

TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for ino-do have 93oct apr chip. Stock air box with k&n filter-snowbox removed-right fender liner opened more around ic- all stock piping. So not much done to air intake system. Plan to install fmic after first of the year.

Have apr full turbo back exhaust. In the past week removed muffler and the nb runs stronger(little louder) especially in the mid and top end range.

Apr is really great helping customer solve problems. Will take nb to the local apr dealer soon and they will recheck software. With a chipped 1.8t auto trans certain fault codes can appear(i have 2 that keep appearing). So i should know more about my problems in about a week or two.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
Red Rider said:
...Apr is really great helping customer solve problems.
I will say that are a good company but I am having a bad expierence currently with them. I have their downpipe with cat and the cat is always throwing "below threshold" codes. I had replaced both O2s and it still keeps coming back. I called them up and their answer was to go to an APR dealer and have the "test pipe" program added to remove the code from the ECU altogether. I dont like band-aid fixes that do not address the problem. I am going to be getting the Autotech downpipe soon. I am not bad mouthing them, just explaining my expierence.

·
Everett Street in May
3,205 Posts
NBTFreak, I agree that I do not like the band-aid approach to tuning..:( If it don't work without a resitor or tin-foil, then it's not designed correctly.

Hope the new downpipe works out...TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
i would look around the motor first b4 u jsut start popin in fpr's....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts