NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno if the fuel pump priming when the driver's door opens question was ever answered fully....but...my car primes the pump when the driver's door is opened. I know there are quite a few others on here that have cars that do the same, and also some who have cars that only prime when the ignition is turned on with the key.

Lately (the last few weeks - maybe since the onset of cold weather??) my car primes the pump when the driver's door is opened and then primes it again when I turn the ignition on. Does anyone else have a car that does this, or is it some weird and wonderfull new quirk in my Beetle?

No VAG-COM codes btw, except for the one telling me my driver's side mirror is burnt out...

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
Perfectly normal for door prime and then another prime when ignition is turn but not cranked.

When you open the door, you get a prime. Leave it open long enough (like when you clean the interior) and it will prime again with no additional door opening or ignition turn.

Drive the car, shut it off, go into the store, come back out, open the door and no prime, but you get a prime with the ignition turn with no crank...pretty cool.

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to look into this further. I don't remember it doing it last winter (or even two months ago). In my case, I'm opening the door, getting the prime, then immediately turning the ignition on (not starting the car) and the pump primes again. Oh well, as long as it runs I really shouldn't worry...just a bit anal that's all.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Ahhhh, that's what the noise is when I go to my car in the morning.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and when you unlock the car with either key #1 or #2 the electric seats and mirrors move to their normal positions. I was wondering why I heard the same sort of noise with my NB.

:ha:

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
I apologize to my car, if I open the door just to get something out, and she sounds like she's saying "Let's go for a run!". I really do! :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
What do you mean by prime? I opened my door with the remote and hear nothing..should I be hearing something? voices? prime? lol..I put my key into the ignition not a sound...I turn the key and she starts right up and is ready to roll!
Happy New Year to all!!

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
It "primes" upon physically "opening" the door. The driver door. :p Not just "unlocking" with the remote.

I didn't know what that was for a while. Now that I know, it's comforting in a way. :)

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
You put the key in the ignition and then turn it half-way without fully cranking (as if you were going to listen to the radio).

As Dneyed said, you open the drivers door and you will hear a quick noise...like a low hum.

·
Registered
2001 Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0
7 Posts
The fuel priming feature has been around for years, to assist cold starting. This operates via the door lock open microswitch, which is prone to failure, often goes un noticed as interior lights come on when car is unlocked and engine turned off, an essential check is if you unlock the car and wait 30 seconds without putting key in ignition if car auto re locks this switch has failed, there is possibility of locking the key in the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts