NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shade tree Dad
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 1.8 beetle fuel pump relay burns out quickly last one only lasted few minutes then started missing then died.. will run perfectly if you jump the two large leads to fuel pump..but turn signals wipers blower motor wont run of course...at my wits end any help would make my daughter happy!!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts

·
Shade tree Dad
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bought them from napa, rock auto and vw dealer had a mechanic look at it and he said it was in the wiring but he couldnt figure it out vw was not his strong suit

·
Shade tree Dad
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really strange plugged the old relay in and it started clicking and the a/c fan turned on and off on its own.. the key wasnt even in the ignition !!! ok im either the owner of a demon or im going crazy.....please help

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I suspect the switch or the wiring to it is part of the problem.

Also check the wiring feeding the relay panel under the dash.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts

·
Shade tree Dad
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pulled ignition switch... no melted wires switch looked good but you know how that goes... all wiring at the relay block looked good also.. ordered new ignition switch and relay should be here by end of the week.. checked fuel pump and pressure with jumper wire..tested good... let you know what happens when parts come in...

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
BMA Auto Parts | Bumper to Bumper since 1978 | Oem auto parts, vw parts, sachs boge, mercedes benz parts, honda auto parts, saab parts use SPECE30 discount code, might just want to replace the fuel pump.

Deal with a lot of BMW's and the pumps seem to fail around 8-10 years typically.

Is the really really "burning up", please explain what is happening in more detail.

Not sure about the VW, but on the BMW you can swap the horn and fuel pump relay as they are the same.

Horn relay ever gets used on most cars.

·
Shade tree Dad
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jfoj the relay is not catching fire but it gets real hot before failing then it will not energize to complete the circuit to the fuel pump, when that happens you lose all other electrical that runs through, in essence it is frying the little circuit board inside the relay, went ahead and ordered a new fuel pump that way i know everything is new, let you know what happens when it all gets done

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Dragon,

If the relay is getting hot and failing, then there are only 3 likely causes.

1. Fuel pump drawing too much current likely due to worn bearings/brushes.
2. Wiring issue between the pump and relay, either partial short to ground or loose connections at pump or at relay output.
3. Loose connection at relay input.

Make sure you check the female terminals on every connection to make sure they are all tight. Any loose connection can cause excessive heat to build up and become a problem.

Hopefully your pump is the problem and your problem will be resolved. Even if the pump it not the problem, it is wise to replace it anyway to eliminate a possible future failure. At least on the similiar year BMW's we have been seeing VDO pumps failing between 7-10 years anyways.

Replacing the fuel pump when it fails on you unexpectedly, costs you time, likely a tow, list price on parts and likely shop labor and having to bum a few rides.

Replacing the fuel pump on your terms, the cost of a wholesale pump and about 45 minutes of your time.

Satisfaction that you hopefully eliminated a future failure and you likely saved at least a few hundred dollars in the process - priceless!

·
Shade tree Dad
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK I feel like an idiot..but I found the proverbial needle in the haystack...replaced fuel pump, ignition switch, and fuel pump relay and it still wouldnt run..for some reason I took the two bolts out that hold the block of relays up under the dash to better see the wires and I found the problem...the relay on the far left (still havent figured out exactly what it does) must have been kicked somehow and broke the plastic lock on the connector and wiggled loose just enough.. I pushed it back on tight and she purrs like a kitten again..daughter thinks Im a genius, I thank this forum and the great people on here willing to take the time to help,

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Dragon,

Glad you finally got the issue sorted. It is always good once you actually find the problem and you know 100% sure the problem is resolved.

Having your daughter think you are a genius is priceless!

Do not feel bad about replacing the fuel pump as these are going to fail and leave the driver stranded without many options to get moving again. When you replace the pump on your terms and not the cars terms you can control the cost. Priceless!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts